Is this a bad time to build a small house in a wooded area? I like simple higher ceiling open floor plan as

Asked by Tengteng, New Jersey Wed Mar 12, 2008

design. Do I need a contractor to look at the land as well as technical advisor to tell me if I can get all relevent permit to build my little house? Is size of land affecting my property tax? How to compare buying between an old house to add on extension and build one totally new house?

Answers

1
Katy McQuade, Agent, Prescott, AZ
Wed Mar 12, 2008
It totally depends where you are, but here in Prescott, AZ, insurance is not horribly higher than non-wooded areas, as long as you create 'defensible space' around the house. The city (or county) will usually insist on that - they will also decide on your permits depending on the zoning of the area you wish to build. A surveyor would probably be of more help in deciding where the house is situated on the land, and a draftsman or architect would be able to draw plans to fit the land. Taxes are based on the amount of land you own (in Arizona anyway) but are less than improved property so the structure will add a higher tax base to the property.