Is there something I do not understand?

Asked by massab, Chicago, IL Thu Aug 30, 2012

I'm a foreigner and I'm thinking about moving to U.S. I entered this page in order to check the apartment prices in Chicago. And I'm a bit confused, as here, in my country, I live in a 1000 sqft apartment with 3 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and 2 bathrooms. And these rooms do not seem tight to me.
But it seems that there are no such flats in Chicago - it's because either You tend to build aparments with huge rooms (or even halls - this is what it seems to me like) or I can't convert the units properly (but I'm pretty sure 1 sqft is 0,093 sqm).
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong while searching?
Can someone, please, answer one question: is it possible to buy a flat in Chicago with 4 rooms (inc. 3 bedrooms) that is about 1 000 sqft?

Answers

9
Jorge Vega’s answer
Jorge Vega, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Chicago is all about big living, although some architects are now using as much space as possible in the new construction market. You will find more than enough room depending on your search. As mentioned to you before, take time to speak with a professional real estate agent so they can guide you and help you with this purchase. This is a big move for you from what I am reading so its best to seek the expert advice. Good luck
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
In Chicago you will find it almost impossible to find a 3 bedroom for 1k sq/ft. We like large living and kitchen spaces here. Each place has its own culture.
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
What is your budget?

Depending on where you want to live and what your budget is you will be able to find a 3 br that is likely much larger than 1000 sq ft.
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
A 3 bedroom unit with just 1000sf is a bit unusual because it would be considered small! In this country we do not count the bathrooms in the total room count. If a unit has 3 bedrooms and a livingroom and a kitchen and a separate diningroom then the unit has a total of 6 rooms. WHat you might get is more related to the price point and the neighborhood you are looking for. There can be huge differences depending on where the property is located. It's a very big city.
Laurie Chris…, Agent, Oak Park, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Most 3 bedroom condos (flats) will be 1200+ square feet, but you may be able to find something with less... Best of luck!
Laurie Chris…, Agent, Oak Park, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
If you don't know the city and its neighborhoods very well, I would recommend a short term rental so that you can settle in a bit and explore to decide which area you like best. And as others have recommended, it's vital that you use an experienced real estate broker (no cost to you for buyer representation generally).
Mark Flint, Agent, Evansont, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Small by Texas standards and huge by New York City standards, Chicago is unique unto itself. Older more Vintage style propertys will be much different in feel to newer more open designs. Many Vintage properties have been totally gutted and finished with entirely different layouts compared to the way they were originally built. Chicago is also the home of the skyscraper with buildings piercing the skyline and the apartments and condos within tend to be smaller than their Vintage bretheren. Apartments in the suburbs, larger. Apartments in the city, smaller. Close to the lake, shopping, restaurants will be more expensive. You can find anything here.
Chicago has a multitude of shapes and sizes. It has a variety of nieghborhoods all with different feels, textures and ambiance.
If you are looking for something specific contact a Realtor and he/she willl give you the straight story.
massab, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Thank you for your answers. Now I see that this is the matter of culture. In my country the architectural idea tends to fit as many rooms as possible into as little area as possible. As I said before, I live in a 3 bedrooms + 1 living room + 2 bathrooms + 1 kitchen apartment and the area is 83 sqm (~900 sqft). I have never concerned these conditions as tight.

The thing that also surprises me is the big price difference between certain neighbourhoods. In my city (which is just a bit smaller than Chicago) the city centre is about 450 $/sqft and the suburbs are 200 $/sqft. In comparision to Chicago it's not a big difference range.

Well, it seems that I will have to contact a real estate agent to help me find a good offer in a good neighbourhood. Or maybe a house? As I see, a big part of Chicago inhabitants live in family houses. In my city it's like 3%... Blocks, blocks, blocks everywhere...

However, it's not an urgent issue. I haven't even made a firm decision about the city I will choose (Chicago seem's the best one, as many of my countrymen live there).
I totally get where you're coming from. After staying abroad for about a decade, I felt the same way. I think it primarily has to do with all the space wasted on unusable hallways. The amount of space wasted on one useless hallway in my place is large enough to fit in another comfortable room. I think people designing these homes are just getting lazy.

For layouts closer to what you might be used to, you can look at the older homes a little north like maybe Evanston. Those homes are rather on the expensive side though.
Flag Tue Jun 11, 2013
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
call me to find an apt..I have not only MLS property but others to choose from..my office is at 1940 N Clark