Sf Buyer/sel…, Both Buyer and Seller in San Francisco, CA

Is there any advantage to using the same realtor for buying and selling (in the same area)?

Asked by Sf Buyer/seller, San Francisco, CA Fri Jun 5, 2009

Answers

8
Celine F, , Louisiana
Sun Jun 7, 2009
I am an investor and I can tell you about my preference.

If I were only buy and sell 1 property at a time and probably only this property within a few months of time, then I would use one realtor. This realtor would be someone who I have established a good communication, and we both on the same page about what we want to accomplish together.

If I were to buy, sell, hold several pieces of properties at a time for deals involving short sale, bank own, private sell, rehab, rental etc. then I would not be hesitate to establish relationships with multiple realtors as each one of them specializes in a specific type of transaction.

If the deals are only a few, work with one realtor for loyalty and effective communication purpose.

If there are many deals, share the opportunity and share the wealth.

This is how I manage my business. :-)

Celine
Shaban Shako…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Jun 6, 2009
Definitely. I find that I learn a lot about my clients tastes and needs from working with them on a transaction. That relationship then transfers to the next transaction, making the agent perfectly suited to your needs if things went well the first time. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you want to discuss working together.

Shaban Shakoori
TRI Coldwell Banker, SF's #1 Office
Web Reference:  http://www.residentialsf.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sat Jun 6, 2009
SF
Your Realtor's job is not only to help you buy and sell homes, but to coordinate the move. In order to help you transition smoothly from one residence to another you need someone that can help you with property estimating the resources required to move, the timing (so you only have to move once), and properly evaluate market conditions.

I would interview a couple of Realtors and ask them to provide you with a proposal of how they can assist you. You are looking for someone that can demonstrate mastery of their craft---A professional knows what they know, and knows what they don't know, and understands the difference.

A good Realtor can negotiate on your behalf when they understand what is important to you and what is important to the parties involved. As an example, I have a client that needs to move quickly, but because the transaction is taking longer due to a third party approval - a short sale) I needed to find a way to help them move asap. We scheduled a meeting with the sellers, worked out a common understanding, then executed an interim occupancy agreement allow the buyers to move in before the close of escrow.

Sally Rosenm…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Jun 6, 2009
It truly depends on your agent and his/her capabilities. I don't want to repeat what the others have said.... about trust, communication, knowledge, honesty. The long and short answer is yes if you like that agent. Suffice it to say, your agent shouldgive you some help by giving you a break on commission on his/her side if doing both ends of the deal. If your agent will not, find someone else.

Cheers,

Sally
Web Reference:  http://www.sallyrosenman.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Jun 5, 2009
If you like your Realtor enough and trust him/her with the selling of your property and are happy with the service, why wouldn't you want to use that same person's help in searching for your new purchase.

Anna
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Fri Jun 5, 2009
Sure there is. This is a relationship business. If you find a professional that you can communicate with and is knowledgeable work with them. You don't hire a mechanic to work on the left of your car and another ot work on the right or a body guard to protect the front and another to protect the back. If you need two you want them both to cover you.

You are really asking if there is a financial benefit to having one agent. If that is what your asking it will depend on the agent. Some need to buy your business and other don't. Some believe it is the right thing to do others don't. Best advice you can get is to ask for what you want and be straight otherwise there will be poor communication. This is big money transaction. Be upfront and honest.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jun 5, 2009
Afternoon,

The short answer is yes. Part of representing clients is (or should be) getting up to speed on the client's gran plan, and then helping to execute that plan. If you are trying to do both at the same time it's going to be even more time sensitive and complicated, why put yourself in a position where you're having to do everything twice and wait for two people to get back to you?

Furthermore, being able to respond quickly to market forces, offers, & questions is often the difference between making a deal or not. One point person on both ends will greatly reduce the chance of lag time interfering with a deal.

If you have someone you trust has your best interests at heart and is good at what they do, in my opinion there is no upside for having anyone else on your team. if you feel like you need a second person the the first one is probably wrong for you.

Lance King/Managing Broker
415.722.5549
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
Chris Mabry…, , Tucson, AZ
Fri Jun 5, 2009
Hey Sf,
I am of the opinion that it's good to establish a relationship with a good, well qualified agent that you can get along with through the entire process. Selling and buying is going to take some time, which means that your agent is going to be your new best friend. Most well qualified agents who are experienced listing agents in a certain area are also going to have good skills as a buyer's rep too. It sounds like a lot of work to find a whole new agent to help you buy when you can use the same one who helped you sell. Getting to know each other, establishing report, etc. This all takes time and work. Your listing agent will have already made progress on the personal side and will be better equipped to help you buy. Not to mention, for me, it's always helpful to see the home you are selling and better understand why you want to move. I hope this helps! Good luck out there!