Home Buying in Bay View>Question Details

Nicol~a, Both Buyer and Seller in 53207

Is there an easy way to get property taxes lowered? Found a house with taxes about 1K higher than surrounding houses on the market with more sq

Asked by Nicol~a, 53207 Mon Nov 23, 2009


Help the community by answering this question:


You have the right to appeal your taxes. On the back of your tax bill it provides the directions for going through the appeal process. You will need to have recent comparable sales, taking into consideration: location,style of home, square footage, number of rooms, condition, updates, finished be basements, and lot size.

There has been adjustments in the market due to foreclosures but the question is how the city will handle those adjustments. It is more than likely no change will be made until the following year even if you win your appeal.

If your thinking about this be prepared for a lot of work and time.

Good Luck

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certifed Distressed Property Expert
Metro Milwaukee
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 24, 2009
You have to buy the home with the idea that the taxes will not be adjusted. As John said, you can build your case to have your assessment changed but as you can imagine, no village or city tax commissioner is looking to do this without a very solid argument. You would have to look at very recent solds to get a list of comparables as close as you can. Since there may not be that many it can be hard to do. The houses may have more sq footage but what else may be at play? Lot size? Basement or no? Size of garage? Good luck!
Web Reference: http://modalyhomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 24, 2009
Trying to get a Municipality to lower taxes on anyhting is never easy. Theonly way to get it lowered would be to approach the city assessors office with the amount you purchase the house for, along with comparable homes in the area that have recently sold with lower values as well, and see if they are willing to lower the value on the home. Sometimes they are willing to adjust the value if you have a solid argument for lowering it, sometimes they wil not move. You never know what they will do until you approach them, but I know they never like to reduce the tax base.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 23, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer