Home Buying in Lewis Center>Question Details

Etendards, Other/Just Looking in

Is there a way to check the rating or quality of certain home builders? Does anyone have experience with buying a WESTPORT HOMES build?

Asked by Etendards, Mon Sep 10, 2012

Answers

3
In Oregon, we have a Contractor's Board, a very good source for information on builders. See if there is a similar state agency where you live.
Ask around, talk to some Realtors. Ask friends and family. The BBB is a good source, as Cindy says, but know that sometimes complaints don't tell the whole story. Sometimes buyers have a distorted view of what builders/sellers/Realtors are responsible for. Complaints can sometimes be unfounded.
Check out the BBB. I think there were 6 complaints filed in the last few years. Also check out the clerk of courts in Fairfield, Franklin, and Delaware counties to see how many lawsuits they had against them ect. Remember that their sales agent works for the builder...get everything in writing. I have seen quality of work vary from house to house with the same builder(different crews), so it is key to sometimes 'babysit' your home as it is being built. Have you viewed current homes on the market that were built by Westport homes? I always recommend that as some buyers see the fancy upgrades and the professionally staged model home and then are disappointed when their home is finally finished...others are ecstatic. I just wanted to make sure that you explored all your options as some existing houses are cheaper in price and already have the patio/deck, finished basement ect.