Is the seller of a home required to disclose bedbug infestations of their home?

Asked by Aimee, Mesa, AZ Mon Aug 1, 2011

Answers

17
., , Mesa, AZ
Tue Aug 2, 2011
Really? I can't believe that this is even a question. Ofcourse the seller has to disclose. The best way to handle this if you are the seller is to have a pest control company come in and kill the bugs, then disclose the fact that they were there and that they have been dealt with..Then offer a follow up treatment if needed. Always, always, always disclose...If you are the buyer and you suspect foul play before you are out of your inspection period, drop the deal and get a better home. There are plenty out there.
Carla Harbert, Agent, Brunswick, OH
Sun Aug 7, 2011
Randy, Yes - if the seller is aware of any pest infestations - it should be disclosed to a buyer. Thank goodness for pest exterminators - ask your local real estate agent for a list of reputable companies.
Aimee, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sat Aug 6, 2011
To BG- Easy....We have never moved in. We found the baseboards splattered with bed bug excrement.
Aimee, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sat Aug 6, 2011
Randy, let's put it this way...I WILL NOT move my family into that house. Someone WILL be taking it back.
Randy Hooker, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Sat Aug 6, 2011
Garooooooosssssssssssssssssss! So what's the latest in your pursuit of 'remedies' on the foundation cracks and bedbugs, Aimee??
BG, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Sat Aug 6, 2011
You have to heat up the house to ~130F for hours to completely getting rid of it on the inside of the house, and then you have to spray on the outside .... but if your neighbor's house is the source then you are out of luck.

If you have moved in for a few months then how do you prove that bedbug is not your doing (or your tenant) ?
Sharon Tinnin, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Thu Aug 4, 2011
Yes, If you are aware of it then you must disclose it. That goes for anything.
Ann Messick, Agent, Mountain Home, ID
Thu Aug 4, 2011
Yes, there is a question on the property disclosure for any infestation!
Aimee, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Did you know that bed bugs can live up to a year without a source of food? This scares me, and my family will not be moving into this home we just closed on.
Ann Griffin, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Keep in mind that a good pest control service would likely be a heck of a lot cheaper than any lawsuit. This is a practical, not legal, suggestion, but the legal expert at my WA broker always told us, in any lawsuit the only winners are the lawyers, and trying to work it out with the other party or even just fixing the problem yourself is often the cheapest, fastest solution. Good luck.
Laura Higgin…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Sellers are required to disclose all issues that are material to a buyer. Clearly this would count as one of those issues. Disclosure related lawsuits are VERY common. You would have a good case....but, of course, with any lawsuit it is costly to pursue. Good luck!
Jeremy James…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Aimee,

You would probably have to contact a Real Estate attorney to move forward if you have proof that they purposely withheld a material fact that caused you damage...
Randy Hooker, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
You already know my answer, Aimee, but just add this to the foundation issue when you talk to your attorney. Hopefully s/he'll give you a free or less expensive initial consultation and lay out your options before asking for a substantial retainer fee.
Michael Land…, , Mesa, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
This is a situation your agent/broker should be helping you with. Contacting a real estate attorney may be your next step.
Jeannie Joy…, , Tempe, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Absolutely. if they are aware of it.. If it is a bank owned property, then they might not be aware, but a privately owned home occupied by the owner should know and must disclose this to the buyers
Aimee, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
YES! They knew about it and I can prove it. What can I do about it?
Javier Vega -Asset Manager ( Manage foreclosed properties across nation) IN my experience both as agent and asset manager I agreed the sellers and also the agents with prior knowledge of the infestation must disclosed. An infestation does not happen over night, is true they could live a year without food or water but they also will not be able the reproduce and multiply.I suggest to contact your local office of Environmental office.They should be able to check if the property was previously service by l Pest Control license by the state.If they did they must (some don't) are required to record treatment (s) dates,reasons for treating,chemicals used etc. if the owner used a Pest control co. to handle the bedbugs theirs a chance to have proof as material of fact..If you found the house f your dreams bedbugs should not be the reason to run away, when is something that could be treated.Funny: imagine all the U,S home owners with a bed bug infestation running away from their homes!
Flag Fri Oct 2, 2015
Michael Land…, , Mesa, AZ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Yes, if they are aware of it they must disclose it.