Is the house backing to a creek a premium? What about snakes and insects?

Asked by Sdk, 95630 Thu Mar 11, 2010

Is the home backing to a creek a premium in terms of price compared to a same home backing to another house? Also, what about snakes and insects?

Answers

27
Joseph Vogel, , Rowlett, TX
Fri Mar 19, 2010
Your lot is at a premium if your lot is well maintained and the creek is clean and well maintained as well. If the creek rises and poses a hazard you will find your lot is going to be hard to sell. If you have neighbors that share the creek how well they maintaine their property will effect your lot price as well. Distance from the niehgbors behind will have the same effect. If they are to close it will hurt the price.

As far as snakes and mosquito's if they are infested I would suggest getting rid of them if possible. If not they will effect price.

Hope this helps.

Joe Vogel, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty.
512-626-5667
Jackye Mumph…, Agent, Mableton, GA
Fri Mar 19, 2010
Its depends on the grade of your lot and how close you are to it. In light of all of the precipitation we have experienced lately, some when find that undesirable. However there are still plenty of buyers that would welcome a babbling brook or small creek in their yards.
Web Reference:  http://www.GoMableton.com
Ed Favinger, Agent, Folsom, CA
Fri Mar 12, 2010
Sdk...

I've lived and sold real estate in Folsom for 20 years now... and can tell you that backing up to one of the creeks here in town is not a hazard...it's a benefit.. an "amenity" that comes with the property.

Yea, there might be a snake or two around... especially in the warm parts of spring, but... it's not a big deal. Along the Parkway, you'll see homes that back up to the trails and creeks with a mesh type screen along the bottom of the fence to screen out the intrusions of snakes and other little critters.

When my boys went to school at Oak Chan Elementary they'd find rattlers out there in their in the soccer field by the trails every so often. They installed those mesh screens to keep that down to a minimum.

As for bugs...? The only complaint I have is at about sunset the mosquitoes might be a little bit of an irritation, so you might want to have some bug repellent handy if you are outside.

The plus is that you might see other critters out there. You might get lucky and see an owl snag a little field mouse and fly off with it...

Anyway... Don't let fear of snakes and bugs hold you back from making that purchase along one of the creeks.

Now think of the positives... getting up in the morning... pouring a cup of coffee and then walking out to your back yard to smell some fresh air looking at a nature preserve.

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...
Walfezworldz, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Tue Sep 19, 2017
Well some people not care that much about there being snakes and insects in there creek.
Cathymcclusk…, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Sun May 28, 2017
Is the township responsible for fencing a creek in my backyard?
Conollymelan…, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Wed Apr 5, 2017
My townhouse backs to a creek.not on my property,but a few feet beyond is a cluster of dead dangerous branches just hanging. Is the city willing to cut the dangerous mess down?
Irma Pfeffer, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Jul 14, 2016
Generally there is a premium for a creek lot it can range from $5k-$20K depending on the site, how it is situated and where you are in the country. As for snakes & insects; well you can have those not being on a creek; however, the chance of having them would be greater. If you do not like having insects, etc do not buy a creek lot.
Karen and Pa…, Agent, Cameron Park, CA
Mon Jan 4, 2016
It depends on the location and condition. A new home builder may add a premium to the lot if they think they can make more money on it. Not have another house looking into yours may be a big plus and cost you more. But there may be an extra expense with needing flood insurance. Lee's feed in Shingle Springs has the big rolls of snake fencing to keep the snakes, skunks, ect out and smaller dogs in your yard if needed.
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Nov 25, 2015
Check if it is in a flood zone.

Kind regards,

Arpad
Jjtomanelli, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Tue Nov 24, 2015
why you always lieing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bedlam Realty, , Tulsa, OK
Fri Mar 19, 2010
Good answers below. It all depends on the condition of the creek. If it were well maintained and looked nice, then yes, it would absolutely be a plus. Also, many people like the privacy aspect of not having a home directly behind them. They are paying more for the privacy than they are the beauty of a creek.
Web Reference:  http://www.bedlamrealty.com
Coleen DeGro…, Agent, Gainesville, FL
Fri Mar 19, 2010
In my opinion, it depends upon the creek - how close does it run to the house? How prone is the home to flooding? Do you live in an area prone to sinkholes?

Seems to me you have snakes and insects whether you live by a creek or not.

If you are interested in buying a home that backs up to a creek, I would definitely do some research re flood zones and the like....also, make sure to ask your agent to run comps of area homes (preferably to other homes which also back up to the creek)....good luck!
Web Reference:  http://gainesville-life.com
Paul Burkhar…, , Harrisburg, PA
Fri Mar 19, 2010
A creek or water feature can be very appealing for many buyers. It provides added separartion from other property as well as a natural respite area. Snakes, critters, and insects are always a possibility when an open nature area is created, but with proper maintainance and upkeep those concerns can be kept to a minimum. A more critical concern would be the potential for flooding. Especially today with FEMA funding coming and going as politicians play games. It may be very costly to obtain an isurance policy if the property lies in a flood plain. Personally I would love to have something like that... I think the benefits far outweigh the potential problems
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Mar 19, 2010
In most instances if you have a home back up to a view, creek, golf course, ocean, mountain they are a premium lot.

HOWEVER if the area is maintained if you install protection maintain your yard then you should be fine.

I own a home an interior lot, in middle of subdivision EACH YEAR we have snakes, our household includes 2 cats 2 dogs.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Gary King, Agent, Knoxville, TN
Fri Mar 19, 2010
It depends on the creek. Is it clean and the grasses and woods well kept or is it dirty with lots of bottles and trash. Mosquitoes can't reproduce in running water but they can in standing water. Snakes are everywhere but i see them mostly around trees where leaves fall and give them cover.

Hope this helps. I would buy a property with a clean creek and runing water.
Denise Aquila, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Tue Mar 16, 2010
I live at the top of the hill near Costco in Folsom. What I have been advised about the snake screen is it has to be taller than half the length of the snake in order for it to be effective otherwise the snake can crawl over it. So, I would make it at least 18 inches tall. With regards to the HOA and spraying it isn't uncommon for them to be regulated by various government entities with regards to what they can use and how often so to answer your questions about effectiveness would be hard. However, the government is worried about things such as West Nile virus and other communicable diseases so I would think the spraying, etc. would be pretty good.

By the way, if you would like to be on my monthly newsletter list please forward me your address via my email and I would be happy to include you. My newsletter discusses all sorts of things such as this and you are under no obligation to ever use me as a Realtor but I would hope you would or send me referrals!

Denise Aquila
Denise@DeniseAquila.com
Sdk, Home Buyer, 95630
Sun Mar 14, 2010
Thanks all for the responses...
sorry, i forgot to mention the house location... it is in parkway community.

So, to summarise from all the responses: Mosquitos, Bugs, Snakes and flooding are the common problems - in the priority order.

Mosquitos and Snakes are my major concerns...
how good is parkway HOA at spraying the creeks with bug/mosquito spray every year?
I definitely plan to have a snake mesh screen, but is this effective?
Anyone have a idea of flooding with the parkway community?

thanks again for your responses.
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Sat Mar 13, 2010
Sdk, I would seriously put flooding at #1. Even if mosquitoes are a problem you can get a propane powered mosquito killer. It gives off co2 The mosquitoes are attracted and get cooked dry. Apparently a very effective way to keep the population down by buying a tank of propane every 2-4 weeks. Snakes, not familiar with the venomous kind so have no reference for you.
DeeDee Riley, Agent, El Dorado Hills, CA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
Good Morning,
We use to live on a creek and though it was always beautiful with the trees, birds, and sounds of the water; it had it's disadvantages as well. Our creek was seasonal so during the summer would get down to just a trickle. There were areas with pools of water that was a great home for mosquitoes. My husband would take care of those for the most part with mosquito dunks. We did have snakes migrate up to our house, and there were mice/rats that lived in the brush along the creek. It is more of a personal preference though for the buyer than a premium in my mind. The same goes with backing to a greenbelt but keep in mind that the seller saw it as a premium when they were buyers and may want to sell it as such.
DeeDee
Ed Favinger, Agent, Folsom, CA
Fri Mar 12, 2010
Hey Sue...

I agree... we don't really have bugs here... just the stinking mosquitoes at sunset.. and if you have a "bug zapper" or those candles you never get bothered by them.

I forgot about the deer... if you walk at dusk or early in the morning on the nature trails, you'll run into them on occasion.

and for the folks who live in other "climes"...? we have a dry summer with a low humidity which is one reason I think bugs aren't a problem here...
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Mar 12, 2010
Our bugs and creeks aren't like others across the country so I'm entertained by some misunderstandings. I've yet to see alot of any kinds of unfortunate creatures bothering my enjoyment of a creek behind my house.

Check the 100 and 500 year flood plan which your realtor can access from her MLS tools. Also, did you think that if you're by a creek you might also see a deer or two, possibly other wooded creatures, especially at dawn or dusk?

It 's a buyer's choice, but since we don't have humidity and the prevalence of huge mosquito swarms, then I see more positives than negatives personally.
Web Reference:  http://www.suearcher.com
Christina He…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Fri Mar 12, 2010
A creek can be a blessing or a curse, be sure to check and see if it falls in a FEMA flood zone, if it does flood insurnace will be required.
Leanne Finlay, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Fri Mar 12, 2010
Bugs? I'd think about installing a "bat condo", which you can buy at most nurseries. Bats eat huge amounts of bugs, including mosquitos.
Denise Aquila, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Fri Mar 12, 2010
As the old saying goes, "one man's junk is another man's treasure", the same can be said about the location of a home. While some people want a creekside location you couldn't pay others to be there. The most important question is would you like to live adjacant to a creek. As with anything else there are pros and cons so I would say if you want the house purchase it!

Denise Aquila
Alain Pinel Realtors
916-293-2930
I will buy a water fountain and listen to the water. A creek? N o way....hate snakes and will not tolerate them. I plan on moving to boise Idsaho.
Flag Mon Apr 11, 2016
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Fri Mar 12, 2010
Dear Sdk,
This question takes me back to my first rental home years ago. It was in a small Northern California town that had a very small trickle of a creek behind it. The home was put on the market and we considered purchase until the Fall rains. That tiny creek became a mighty river flooding the entire bottom floors of that property! My advice is to check with all long time neighbors about how the creek behaves year round.
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
Mechelle Rea…, Agent, Folsom, CA
Thu Mar 11, 2010
Sdk,

You don't say which neighborhood in Folsom you are asking about. Usually here in Folsom, if a home backs to any kind of open space then it is considered a premium lot and a buyer will pay more than one that backs to a home. Here in Folsom we don't have a lot of yearly creeks, so I am wondering if you are seeing a "seasonal" creek (water in it during rainy season) or perhaps a "wetland" that is more like a very shallow pond during the rainy season.

When purchasing a home, the seller will be required to give you a "Natural Hazards" report. In that report it should tell you the property is in any kind of flood zone.

Snakes and bugs are a common to all of Folsom. I can't say that you will have more than any other area. Even if you do, you will also have a lot more birds to see and listen to.

All thing being equal, same house, one backing to creek, one that does not, more buyers would pick the one backing to the creek. It would have better resale value.
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Thu Mar 11, 2010
Having a creek is nice IF it does not flood. I know of one place that has a small stream out back that floods often in the spring. But the house is on a knoll and will never get wet. I know other places that if the stream rises the house floods. Check to make sure the house is not in a 300 year flood zone. It could be a wet problem and require more expensive flood insurance. Even if you have insurance and it floods life sucks as your stuff got ruined. Yes, you can replace the old tv with a new one. But your heirlooms and scrapbooks can never be replaced.

I never see snakes here up north by a stream. Insects, is it a moving stream or is it stagnant? If it just sits expect to see insects. If it flows well they have no place to live. Probably, expect bugs. Get some birds and bats, they can enjoy the bugs for you.

p.s. I have seen a lot of bugs in a field quite a ways from a stream.