Is the Vista Lakes area specifically the newer community of Avon at Vista Lakes too risky to buy in right now?

Asked by Judith, Melbourne, FL Thu Jan 24, 2008

Answers

6
Toni Campbell, Agent, Altamonte Springs, FL
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Judith
I live in Vista Lakes and also specialize in assisting both buyers and sellers in this area. Unfortunatly there is alot of misinformation out there both in the TV news and the Orlando Sentinel.
I have attended the meetings provided by the Army Corps of Engineers for updates to the community and the panel of volunteers on this. Each meeting allows anyone to ask questions. The writer for the Orlando Sentinel finally attended this past meeting and he left before most of the information was discussed!
First, Vista Lakes was NOT built ON the "bombing range". Second it was called the Pinecastle Jeep Range and not a "bombing range".
To get the best most upto date information about the former Pinecastle Jeep Range, please visit the web site at http://www.saj.usace.army.mil and click on the Pinecastle Jeep Range link or contact the Corporate Communication Office at 904-232-1576 or 1-800-291-9413.
I hope this helps you as I love to live in Vista Lakes!
Rick Aguirre, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Aug 7, 2008
Judith,
What do you mean by Risky? Could you elaborate,
Rick.
-c-, , Florida
Wed Aug 6, 2008
Judith,
Unfornutately, there is much mis-information out there about Vista Lakes and its relation to the bombing range. The Vista Lakes development is very nice! and made up of multiple sub-divisions, of which only a small percentage of the Vista Lakes development was built on the land leased by the Army, which was used for a "demonstration" facility - including some bombing. To my knowlege no "chemical wastes" were found. The soil tests which have been done have shown that the land is safe. The Army is currently undergoing to major search and clean up effort on the land, including all affected homesites, and they will be completed in about a year. So...much of Vista Lakes was not built on a "bombing range." It would be nice, if the media, particularly the Orlando Sentinel, could get their facts straight.
Phil Fowler, Agent, Brandon, FL
Thu Jan 24, 2008
Hi Judith,

This is a good time to buy and Engel homes are price from $321,990 - $379,990. I am not sure what you mean by risky.
Web Reference:  http://www.PhilFowler.com
Janice, , Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Judith,
Much of Vista Lakes was built on a World War II bombing range. The Army Corps of Engineers has been excavating live bombs and other ordnance since it was discovered in Vista Lakes subdivisions last July. Chemical wastes were also found during the excavations. Rather than put themselves in jeopardy, many residents are walking away from their Vista Lakes homes and going into foreclosure. The Orlando Sentinel newspaper has many indepth articles on this amazing and tragic story.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Jan 24, 2008
Judith,
It most certainly is a good time to buy! With one exception....use extreme caution if entering the preconstruction market. The construction market is so shakey with the current trends of even the largest companies going "Belly up", I would avoid any contract to build a new home until there is greater stability