Is purchase of half a duplex legal, and if so, what maintenance and insurance stipulations should be part of the purchase agreement?

Asked by Jean, Bath, ME Wed Apr 18, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Apr 18, 2012
It sure IS... It is called a condex and can be a 2 unit condo association. You should have a master insurance policy that covers the common areas such as walls and roof, you get your own insurance for the interior and your belongings. You should have a maintenance agreement that states who does what and what will happen say if the roof needs to be replaced.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Terry Drisco…, , Bath, ME
Wed Apr 18, 2012
A "duplex" describes a style of building rather than a form of ownership, so it depends. Since you are talking about Bath, I imagine it is one of the townhouses in the "Brick Project" off High St. or perhaps, the "double house" on Washington Street. In either case, the owner of the "house" owns the lot that the dwelling sits upon - it is not "common area" such as you would have with a condo. The deed tells you what you would be purchasing. You can investigate insurance coverages and costs with your insurance agent or company. And, you should consult an attorney with any concerns, or to get legal advice.
0 votes
Mark Evans, Agent, Brunswick, ME
Wed Apr 18, 2012
The short answer is yes and being a co-owner with shared common expenses would be the simplest thing to do. The building maintenance, insurances and all other agreements should all be in writing. I highly recommend consulting a competent Real Estate Attorney for all the legal ramifications as well.

Hope this helps thanks for the question.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Bath Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more