Is manufactured home worth less than on-site built house?

Asked by ac5, 07750 Mon Sep 6, 2010

I was shown a nice pre-ownedq house recently. But it is manufactured home. Is it worth less than the on-site built home? What is the drawback? What should I avoid? Thank you.

Answers

10
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Tue Sep 7, 2010
Having been in new construction for many years, I can tell you that modular homes can actually have fewer problems than stick. Why? Because modulars have the benefit of being built in a controlled environment without exposure to severe temperature changes and wet weather. Because homes are wood, these elements can have a significant impact on the final product. Because modulars are also cheaper to build, they can be a great value. You'd be amazed at how many builders are going in this direction. Di Vosta homes in Florida has built their whole business around them. The only drawback there might be is that once it is delivered you can;t make a lot of changes and with stick you have tome to change things at each phase of the construction. However, if it is already existing it doesn't matter. Hope that helps.
Sarah Pomphr…, Agent, Rumson, NJ
Mon Feb 10, 2014
I would have tomsay it depends on the home. There are not many prefab homes in my area but there are many custom built homes. From the ones i have seen, they tend to have a prefab look. I myself would prefer to build with a reputable builder.
Marylynn Haw…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Mon Mar 26, 2012
I've sold both types of construction over the years. The buying public seems to favor stick construction on inland homes. There are several quality modular home builders down the Jersey shore that are having success with buyers. The manufactured homes are bringing the numbers in certain areas and hold their value.
Manufactured homes are built in factories requiring high standards of insulation and construction.
The building turnover time is also faster than having to deal with the elements of nature to wait for stick construction to be completed.
Marylynn ERA Freehold, NJ
Piper, Home Owner, Colorado
Wed May 18, 2011
A manufactured home is very different from a modular home and stick built.The modular home is put on a foundation just like a stick built,but a manufactured home is only tied down and is supported by a bunch of jacks under the home.The price difference is huge when you take that into consideration.Also the manufactured home is not required to be built with the same specs that a modular and stick built home are.I myself would only buy a manufactured home for a much lower price then a modular or a stick built.
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Sep 7, 2010
In my area manufactured homes are ALWAYS worth less per square foot than any other type of home when considering resale.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Tue Sep 7, 2010
I would agree with prior posters - I recall when I took my real estate licensing course the instructor stressed the high qualify of manufactured homes - the straight lines, perfect angles etc. But I do agree that there is a general perception issue that will affect the price of a manufactured home if considered against a comparable on-site built home. A further consideration I would urge is this - if you are considering a manufactured home in an area in which they are common then it will be more accepted and consequently, the price should hold up better. If not, then the impact may be greater.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Mon Sep 6, 2010
Yes if it is a general question.

But manufactured homes can be built of better materials and quality than an on site built home.

Perry
Craig Florma…, , Monmouth County, NJ
Mon Sep 6, 2010
As a former builder of modular homes and a third generation builder , I can tell you that modular homes are very well built . When purchasing an existing home there are a few items to check , the marriage wall should be inspected for proper bolting on all floors including the basement , also check the exterior for any buckling of the siding on the ends if the home and halfway up on a 2 -story.
If you have questions you may reach me at 732-778-0908
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Mon Sep 6, 2010
Ac5,

Please further define a "a manfactured home" . . . ru u referrring to Mods? I kow of few Manufactured home in Monmouth Beach, aklthough I never profess to know it all . . . however I am confused by your quetion and the township it appears to advocatre.

Love and Peace
Francesm ePro, SRES
Freancesca@PatrizioRE.com
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
Web Reference:  http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Debby Thomps…, Agent, Wauwatosa, WI
Mon Sep 6, 2010
I could only tell you about Wisconsin. They are the same as a regular stick built home. I sold one this year and the inspector loved the way it was built. He keep raving on how well this home was built. You might want to check around with some of the people that have bought their home from this company. Ask them what they think of it. Did they run into any issues and how did thing go. Always ask for past customers. You may ask more then once to get more opinions.
Debby
Homestead Realty Inc
http://www.debbyrealtor.com