Is it worth to buy a golf course property by the 7th hole?

Asked by Smasud, Folsom, CA Sun Feb 6, 2011

I have made an offer on a 8 year old foreclosed home in Folsom by a golf course. Its proced lower than the market. Although the view is great I am not sure about the other issues a typical golf course property faces. It's by the 7th hole and the agent is telling it doesnt get hit by balls that frequently. I do see a high net one side of the home. How noisy the morning mowing can get. Also what are other issues that one can get usually. I am in a dilemma about since the price is low and at the same time the inconveniences that a golf course prop may face. The prop address is 1432 Kilrenny Ct. in Folsom CA

Answers

11
Becky A. Roe…, , Herald, CA
Sun Feb 6, 2011
The first questions I would ask is are you a golfer? Most people that live on a course want to live there because it is a golf course. If you don't love the atmosphere and the activity you may regret it. If you are able to visit the home at different times of the day, that may help. The listing says it's a short sale, not a foreclosure. The sellers should tell you on the disclosures if there is any issues. They must disclose those types of issues.
Jeff Hoffman,…, Agent, Folsom, CA
Sat Feb 19, 2011
Smasdu,
I've sold many homes in and around the Empire Ranch area and here's my advice. The homes near the red tees on the 7th hold are in direct flight path of tee shots from the men's tee. The next worst area is near the 150 yard marker as approach shots tend to go right for most average golfers. Living on a golf course has pros and cons. Pros; it's pretty, nice views etc. Cons; bad language, early morning noise from the maintenance staff etc.

Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Mon Feb 7, 2011
In decades past, proximity to a golf course gave a premium value to lots adjacent to them, with pleasant sight sight lines. Golf lovers sought them out. paid top dollar in days past.

Preferences change over time, as hobbies go in or out of fashion. Some sports and hobbies are more popular with the most senior among us such as stamp collecting. While golf is most popular these days with moneyed retirees, it still appeals to all ages. I think a nice location probably adds value.

By the way, how does the agent know that it doesn't get hit by balls frequently? Ask him to name his sources for that assurance. As a foreclosure the listing agent is representing the bank, who never lived in the house. I'll bet the agent has never spent a full day there either. I am surprised he offered an opinion on golf ball hit frequency.
Kevin Brisky, Agent, Minong, WI
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Smasud,

I'd get familiar with the neighborhood, and I'd ask the others in the neighborhood these questions to really get a feel for how it is. They would know the course the best and its surroundings.

Hope this helps!
Denise Aquila, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Mon Feb 7, 2011
It's all a matter of perspective. Some people would love to be on a golf course while others could care less. Be sure to check out the CC&Rs and see what they say about house damage as a result of an errant golf ball. Some golfers are nice enough to leave a note if they break a window while others aren't so you have to pay for the repair yourself or run it through your homeowner insurance unless something else is stipulated in the CC&Rs. Enjoying your backyard could be tricky as well depending upon how the fairway for the hole is set-up. You also may have less privacy. On the flip side it is nice to have an expanse of "yard" behind you that you don't have to take care of. While one person may pay thousands of dollars for the location another one may not. You should really make sure you would enjoying living there. If so, purchase the house. If you see a huge net I would really do more investigating - that is not a positive sign.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Smasud,

There are advantages and disadvanrages with any location....but, you are considering them in this case at the right time. There's probably no better way than to visit the community for the purpose of just "taking a walk" but in the process meet and chat with the residents you meet that are doing the same. The information you acquire will likely help you see things for what they are...of course you may get more information than you really need but you'll know what to disregard.

Some of the common complaints with golf course living are the foot traffic in and around your yard, peoples voices including cursing, having your home pelted and damaged by golf balls, mowing, fertilizer odors. The location of the home can deminish many of your common concerns.

Our advice, plan several evening walks.....you'll be glad you did.....

Best wishes,

Becky A. Roe…, , Herald, CA
Sun Feb 6, 2011
When your appraisal is done, they will give you a credit for the view. That should bring some value to the view. Because I haven't done a market analysis on the property it's hard to say why those properties aren't selling. Typically yes a golf course lot does go for more. There are lots of factors that need to be taken into consideration as far as the comps. Ask your Realtor to work you up a CMA of the area. It will give you what the homes have sold for and what they are listed for and if they were REO's, short sales, or regular listings. Look at the ones on the golf course compared to the others that aren't. It depends how long they have been on the market also. You need to also think about how long you think you may live there. Is it long or short term?
Smasud, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Sun Feb 6, 2011
In answer to Becky question, I am not a golfer. Still I liked the view from the backyard. One surprsing fact that I noticed (which bothers me a bit) is in that neighborhood few homes by the golf course are on the market and not selling. So does golf course view really increases the home value. I dont see any real evidence when I did a quick zillow search on the area. A small search reveals me parkway homes on the other side of Empire Ranch seems to be more expensive. Sorry I am not an expert of the two areas but should buying the golf course home is a risk worth taking. Will I face any issue while selling the home. Its not a new home but does typical builders charge higher for props by the golf course.
Felix Hung, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Smasud,

Like Sue and Becky said...do what you want! Sounds to me like you're not a golfer. Maybe take up the sport if you buy the house. Ultimately it's your decision if you want to buy a home on the golf course or not. From my experience, most homes are spared by badly hit golf balls and the mowing/landscaping is definitely manageable. And if you sell to a golfer in the future..most see it as a plus.
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Becky mentions an important point for part of your investigation of the property. And that is to visit the property at various times of the day/week to observe the feel of the neighborhood. I would also recommend, once you are in contract, for you to introduce yourself to the neighbors and ask them about everything they could tell you about the home you're buying, the neighborhood and those on either side of you should be able to answer your questions about the schedule for mowing and how often golf balls show up in your yard.

They will be as interested in meeting you as you will be in meeting them, so be proactive. The sellers will also be providing you disclosures but you can ask your own specific questions of them as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.suearcher.com
Christine Mc…, Agent, Valparaiso, IN
Sun Feb 6, 2011
I've sold golf course property before. Most people enjoy them. They like to sit out on their patios and watch the golfers. I guess if you are really close, perhaps dodging an occasional stray ball might be a hazard :)