Is it recommended to go veiw a house at night?

Asked by Eugenie, Far Northwest, South Bend, IN Mon Dec 3, 2007

We are scheduled to look at a house this coming Sunday that we think may be THE ONE. Given the fact that the rate just lowered today, I am wondering if it will be better for us to try to go see this house earlier? But because we both work, we can only see it at night. Any comments/thoughts?

Answers

8
Cathy Baron…, Agent, Santa Claus, IN
Wed Dec 5, 2007
I would suggest to go ahead and see the house at night. To see what the neighborhood is like in the evening with the kids and adult home from work. Also, I would suggest to see the house during daylight hours and if possible after a heavy rain to make sure their is not water problem in the house. Being a real estate agent I work around my clients needs. If not both of you can make it during daytime hours maybe one of you can go to make sure the house is what you like. The agent should not have a problem with this
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Mon Dec 3, 2007
Hi Eugine,

I'm not a Realtor but from personal experience I've found that it's extremely important to view a home during the day. I love my current apartment but if I had seen it during the day I may have looked around a bit more.

Like you, I have a tight schedule so I saw the apartment during a showing in the evening. I could tell that there wasn't much of a view and that was fine with me but I didn't realize that due to the window orientation the apartment doesn't get as much sunlight during the day as I'd like. In the beginning this made it particularly hard for me to get up in the mornings.

I've adjusted since then and I'm very happy but I know now that when the time comes for me to buy a home I'll pay particular attention to window orientation and how much natural light can come into the house.

Good luck with your search!

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Vito Boscaino, Agent, Charleston, SC
Wed Dec 5, 2007
No. This is generally not a good idea. A key part of the process in evaluating a home is looking at the exterior of the structure itself, inculding roof, gutters, siding, windows, doors, potential moisture problems, the yard, fencing, garage etc. This will tell you a lot about much repair or investment might be needed, as well as giving you a better idea of how the seller treated the property. You also want to have the opportunity to look over the neighbors properties, the subdivision, etc. What about overhead power lines, utility rights of way, alley access, street parking etc.

Once you become interested in a specific property, I would recommend evaluating the area around the property in the commuting time periods such as early morning, late afternoon, early evening. Also, drive around on weekends.

There is a lot to evaluate when considering a home purchase whether it is for primary occupancy or investment purposes. Always assume that the night is not your friend in making the most of the opportunities to inspect the property and the surrounding areas.

Vito Boscaino
Managing Partner / Realtor / MBA
Help-U-Sell North High Realty
Columbus, Ohio 43214
614.447.3050 office

http://www.servingcolumbus.com
http://vboscaino1.point2agent.com
http://northhighrealtyhelpusell.blogspot.com
http://northhighrealty.helpusell.com
Durenda Fach…, , Coastal Tampa Bay area. Pinellas and Pasco Counties.
Wed Dec 5, 2007
Eugenie

If you think the house may be "the one", you may want to consider seeing is as soon as possible, even if it is at night or evening.

That way you can confirm in your mind whether it is "the one" or a maybe.

Also schedule to see it for a 2nd time during daylight at your earliest convenience (this weekend).

This is a buyer's market, and average DOM is longer than in the past couple or 3 years.

However, buyers are out there, and they are buying. Each and every buyer is looking for the best deal for their money within their parameters.

If there is another buyer within your parameters and at this time, it is possible that they also have identified that house.

By seeing it to confirm your opion of the house, if another offer comes in before the weekend, the seller or seller's agent would be remis in not contacting you or your agent about the offer.

Should that happen (and probably another coming in will not happen), you could decide if you liked the house enough to make offer contingent upon your seeing the property this weekend in daylight.

This weekend is only a couple days away

Best of luck
Sara, , Alvin, TX
Mon Dec 3, 2007
I would definately see it during the day. You'll see more imperfections in the daylight. You might miss important details about the exterior as well if you go at night.

Actually, driving past the house at different times will help you learn more about the neighborhood, too. If you go in the evening, you'll be able to see how many people park in the street at night when they get home from work, which can make it difficult to drive through the neighborhood. You'll also be able to see whether your neighbors are partiers or whether children play in the street.

You might also want to see it during the weekend in the day and night time. We found out after we bought our house and moved in that the people up the street hang out in their garage and drink and we've had some problems with their music. Since they do this practically every Saturday night, we would have seen that if we'd looked.

Check for trains and highways also. They make more noise at different parts of the day.
Christopher…, Agent, Hemet, CA
Mon Dec 3, 2007
I would suggest that you view the home during the day AND at night before making your final decision. If you feel that the home is the perfec one for you, you should do everything possible to view the home, before making a decision, both during the day and at night. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.
No name, , 78201
Thu Apr 9, 2009
It's OK to see the house at night but do not make a decision until after you've seen it in the daylight. After seeing it at night, you may decide that it was not quite what you expected. A second look is always recommended before signing an offer. Problems are easier to miss after dark.

Irene Tron
http://www.irenetronrealtor.com
Real Estate in Valparaiso, IN, Porter County
email: itron@irenetronrealtor.com
Holly Futrell, , Chesterton, IN
Thu Dec 6, 2007
Hi Eugenie,
I am a realtor with Coldwell Banker. I would recommend you look at the home both at night and in the daylight. However, if you are concerned this home will be sold prior to the weekend. I would recommend you look at as soon as possible and schedule a 9:00am Saturday morning 2nd showing. Then ask your agent to keep in contact with the listing agent regarding offers on this property. If someone else writes an offer prior to Saturday you can write your offer subject to a satisfactory daylight viewing. The listing agent may ask you to be a bit more specific regarding the word "satisfactory" however, it is good way to protect yourself.