Is it possible to purchase a home before it is scheduled for public auction?

Asked by Ann Smart, Ossining, NY Mon Sep 3, 2012

Answers

3
R Wright, Other Pro, NY,
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Yes you can purchase a home before the foreclosure sale if the seller consents to a sale. If you would like me to contact the owner and submit a request to purchase please contact me at 914-299-0420.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Is the seller agreeable to the sale and will the agreed price cover what is currently owed....
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Anything is possible. Is it likely, easy, does it happen often and can it be done quickly -- NO. Think about it this way, who would be selling it to you? The bank? Nope, they don't own it do they? The auction is what transfers ownership and before it the owner still is the owner and the only one that can sell it. So you would have to buy it from the owner. The owner also has to pay off the loan or it can't sell. Do you want to pay that much? I bet not. The lender has to approve a sale that will not pay off the mortgage in full and those are called short sales. So yes, they can sell before the auction but the lender has to approve and those take forever, they are not quick or easy.