Is it possible to have two people in title? Two owners for one home?

Asked by Svitlana, 28227 Sun Dec 2, 2007

I am going to buy a home. My husband and me want to be equal owners of the house. Is it possible ?

Answers

8
David Rivera…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Certainly, Svitlana! This is very common. There are several ways to share title, including (in CA)
joint tenants, community property and joint tenants with right of survivorship. Check with your attorney or tax advisor on the best one for your situation.
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Auburn, CA
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Hello Svitlana. I am coming to this question a little bit late as I don't spend much time answering questions on Trulia these days.
I have read the previous answers and would like to add a few things. First of all, yes it is absolutely possible to have two people on title for one property. They don't even have to be related to each other. Theoretically, there's no limit on how many people can be on title for one property, but in real life the lenders will have certain requirements which limits who can be on title.

Now that you know that you and your husband can be on title for the home you are planning to buy, it is important to choose the right way to hold title. As the others have already mentioned. there are different ways for people to hold joint title and each way of holding title has different consequences (mostly in the event of death or divorce). I would highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to determine what form of joint ownership will be best for you. Consulting with an attorney does not mean that your marriage is in trouble. It only means that you want to make sure that the form of ownership you choose will carry out your intentions. While you can research the different forms of ownership yourself, determining which is the best for you should be left up to an attorney as there a lot of things to consider that the average person does not know. You may also want to discuss the creation of a trust for purposes of estate planning. These days, many people have trusts and title to real estate is held in the trust and the property owners are the beneficiaries and joint trustees in most cases. Again, an attorney can answer all your questions.
Good luck with home purchase and happy holidays.
Web Reference:  http://www.theMLShub.com
Rosie Bolin, , Raleigh, NC
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Jonathon was mostly correct. In NC, both husband and wife "own" the property, even if only one is on the loan. However, a split does not automatically occur in the case of a divorce. I am not an attorney, and don't want to represent myself as one, but divorce and property ownership are separate issues.

Really, the key is, when you're married it takes one spouse to buy the property, but it takes both to sell, regardless of who is on the loan.

I hope that helps!

Rosie
Gail Hiebert, , KCMO
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Most states allow married partners to hold title as 'tenants in common' which means that each of you own the property in its entirely. That is a special designation allowed for married partners. The other way you can hold title is as (in some, but not all States) is 'tenants in common", and "joint tenants". Each classification of ownership has its characteristics but to be on the safe side, contact a local attorney to chek what you state allows in terms of title ownership to properties.
Web Reference:  http://www.taxcats.net
Brett Dunne -…, Agent, Upland, CA
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Svitlana:

The first answer is correct. Any Professional Realtor should be able to give you a list on how you can hold title.

God Bless,
Mgparham, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Wed Aug 31, 2016
IF THERE ARE TOW OWNERS AND ON DIES WHO OWNS THE PROERTY
John Horton, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Absolutely. Why not. This is sometime confusing to people, but also remember that when you sell property in North Carolina both spouses must sell it.
Jonathan Osm…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Dec 2, 2007
As the only local realtor to answer your question correctly, yes. Here in North Carolina, you have a 1/2 interest of any real estate purchased, even if your are not on the deed or on the mortgage. So if you husband and you decide to get a divorce, he will have to still give you half of all real estate owned - even if you don't sign a single bit of paperwork.