Is it possible to get out of a buyer's representation agreement?

Asked by Home buyer, Dallas, TX Sat Apr 27, 2013

I want to look at a home and possibly put in an offer but my realtor is out of town. I would have never agreed to the representation had I known they would be gone the weekend I'm looking to buy.

Answers

10
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013
We do not know the whole story – do we?

Did you just recently sign a contract with your Realtor, plan to go in search of a new home and the first thing that happened is the Realtor left town unbeknownst to you?

Did you and your Realtor talk about his/her plans and this opportunity for you suddenly popped up after your Realtor had left town? (You know that signing a buyer’s representation contract does not make the Realtor your slave and at you beck and call 24/7 until you buy a house or the contract expires.)

Has you Realtor been working with you for a while and is not on a scheduled holiday “the weekend I’m looking to buy”? What was wrong with last weekend…or next weekend?

I totally agree that a colleague or our Realtor or the Realtor’s broker would be happy to aid you in your Realtor’s absence. Don’t use your Realtor’s absence as an excuse to stab him/her in the back.

But, as I have already stated, we don’t know the whole story.
Well said John; I highly agree with you!
Flag Fri May 3, 2013
Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Sun Apr 28, 2013
Frustration. That is how you feel because your realtor is not available at your immediate disposal.
This is not a very valid reason to dump your realtor unless he/she has been a congenital absentee whenever you need her/him.

Did you try to contact him/her? He/she may be able to find someone who can take the place in his/her absence.

Or call the broker. Your agency representation agreement is with the company.

Best of Luck.

Maria
Kim Nwachukwu, Agent, Irving, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Did you tell them before they left that you wanted to look at homes over the weekend, or is this a home that just listed? As much notice as possible will help your Realtor make your schedule work. It is sometimes very, very hard to help someone on short notice. Still, the others are giving you solid advice. Ask your Realtor if they have someone who can help you, call their Broker and ask them to assign someone for you. If that doesn't work then I would say yes, you can fire them and work with someone else of your choosing - but make the other effort first.
Michael Brow…, Agent, Allen, TX
Fri May 3, 2013
Did your REALTOR know in advance you wanted to look at homes or did you assume he/she would be ready to show you homes at a moments notice? Are you prequalified? Do you have to sell before buying?
Kenneth "Ken…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
You should contact his or her Broker and explain why you want out. If you are let out that ones NOT mean you don't owe the Broker a commission. If they Broker does not let you out of the BRA then you will need to contact a real estate attorney.

It is very important that ll Buyers and Seller communicate openly and honestly with there Realtor. We are not mind readers.
Warren Barre…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Someone in their office should be available to help you. Like others have said, contact their broker..
Dixon Wong, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Hi there,

Try to contact your agent to see if he/she can arrange someone to show you the property as they can draft up paper work for the offer while they are out of town.

If they failed to get back to you on a timely manner and you decided that you want to terminate your relationship with him/her. Then I think you can see that there are a lot of other agents on here that would love to help you.

I do hope you will able to resolve this and work it out.

Have a great weekend

Dixon
Premier Realty Group
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Just call and get them to have another agent show it to you. If they can't find anyone, tell them to call me. Feel free to give them my number.
Beau Beasley, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Not really. Try to contact your Realtor and I bet they can find another agent to show you any properties you want to see. If you can't contact them, just explain it to the listing agent for the property you want to see and I bet they can help.
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Can you call the agent and ask them to have one of their co-workers fill in for them over the weekend? They should have not left town without having someone cover for them. I am surprised they didn't work this out for you before they left. You can always call their manager and explain the situation. They should be able to help you. My manager would show you the house if I was out of town.

Tom