Is it possible to get mortgage to buy a condo for international student with F1 visa?

Asked by sayna, Austin, TX Thu Apr 25, 2013

I am a international PhD student in saint Louis area and I am under F1 visa type,and I have a annual salary of 24000. I want to buy a condo, I can put around 10% of the property price as a down payment. I wonder if is it possible to get a mortgage to buy an apartment. By the way my wife also has annual income of 24000. So we can be able to pay up to 2000 monthly. I wonder if considering our situation are we able to apply for any mortgage?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Simon Campbe…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Thu Apr 25, 2013
An F1 visa is for students and has a limited time you are allowed to remain in the USA. The time restriction is going to make getting US loan almost impossible. To qualify for a USA mortgage, typically non-residents are going to need a renewable work visa (L1 or H1).

If you are serious about wanting to buy real estate, then perhaps the better way to go is to pursue financing from your home country to purchase this property.
0 votes
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Thu Apr 25, 2013
Yes, It is possible. Shop around for a mortgage broker, they have access to many banks, private lenders and different programs. They can explore all your financial status and advice you properly.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
0 votes
Dear Marie,

Thanks for your response. I like to share with you my situation and the credit score to get some advice what is the possible options can be. I wonder if can I send you email or call you to discuss about this issue. Or do you any lender agencies that provide this kind of loan for international students? I would really appreciate your help.

Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more