Is it possible to convert a duplex in Hopewell borough into 2 separate homes for the purpose of selling the units individually?.?

Asked by ellenlgreenfield, Hopewell, NJ Fri Apr 8, 2011

I own a duplex in Hopewell jointly with another person. I would like to put my half up for sale. The two units are completely independent of one another.

Answers

3
Cynthia Freu…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Fri Apr 8, 2011
If the properties are owned "fee simple", and have separate tax IDs and separate deeds, then I don't know of any reason why you couldn't/ What was in the agreement you had when you bought the property? That should have all of the answers.
Dp2, , Virginia
Fri Apr 8, 2011
You might be able to do that, but the details will depend upon how you both encumbered and titled the property, your local zoning and planning department's plans for your area, and possibly other factors. Even if you couldn't do exactly what you'd like to do, then there still are other ways to sell without forcing your neighbor to also sell.
Tim Robbins, Agent, Northfield, NJ
Fri Apr 8, 2011
That is a zoning issue I would get attorney's advice you maybe and I stress maybe able condo the building but you will need an. Attorney to make all the docs and filings