Is it okay to look at a house that u might purchase without their realestate agent ?

Asked by Charlie, Mount Juliet, TN Wed Mar 20, 2013

Answers

5
Prentiss Holt, , Nashville, TN
Sat Apr 20, 2013
It is okay to do so, but generally not recommended for several reasons.

One, many sellers may simply not believe you're serious if you're not looking with an agent. And in the market currently, many homes sell so quickly that when you view a home you KNOW you are interested in, you want to look as serious as possible.

Secondly, an agent is familiar with the area, with homes, and has a vast array of knowledge and resources which the typical homebuyer does not. An agent, ideally, should be able to direct you to potential problem areas while also espousing the benefits of the property which you may not know or know to look for.

If you intend, on the other hand, just to take a look and then re-schedule another time to bring the agent in, there's certainly no issue with that. :)

If you've got any other questions, please feel free to contact me here on Trulia or via my website at http://www.nashvillespropertysearch.com
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Wed Mar 20, 2013
I think you are referring to the seller's agent being present. That is up to them; some like to be there for every showing; others don't care as long as there is a licensed agent accompanying you. A few would even be OK with no agent there, but only under certain circumstances. But do not go there without the knowledge of the seller's agent.
Dan Simon, Agent, Charleston, SC
Wed Mar 20, 2013
As a "buyer's agent" I always like to be present and arrange showings for my clients. I'm happy to do it for as long as it take to find the right home for my client. If you go without your agent I would recommend that you not talk much to the listing agent or the seller You might give away some negotiating points and not realize it. If you really like the home try not to show it. If you have questions make a list and let your agent work on getting the answers for you. Your buyer’s agent is your advocate, your advisor, your negotiator, and your confidante throughout the buying process.

Dan Simon, Realtor®
Carolina One Real Estate
Direct #843-303-1464
dsimon@carolinaone.com
http://www.CharlestonHomesForYou.com
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Hi Charlie,

Their Realtor does not have to be present (unless the seller requires it which is rare). However, you will need to go with your Realtor.

Have your Realtor find out from the listing agent what the showing instructions are.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Open Houses for sure, if you are satisfied with your Agent there is no reason to look without them as they may be more insightful to your needs.