Is it ok to buy a house with Conservative Easement ? Are there any specific disadvantages in buying such homes? Thanks

Asked by Ralwala, Cary, NC Tue Jun 11, 2013

Answers

2
lb1373, Agent, Pomfret Center, CT
Tue Jun 11, 2013
Hi Ralwala:

My property is surrounded by a conservation easement. Usually it is because of wet lands that are located on the land. There is a setback, meaning you can not disturb the ground a certain number of feet away from the beginning of the easement. You will be limited with what you can do on your land. Read the Property MAP and Schedule A of the deed of the property you are interested in. It is public information and you can find this at the town hall in the vault of the town clerk's office. You can make copies for a small fee.

With wet lands it is not that there is an actual pond or swamp on the land, it could be considered wet because of the consistency of the soil. Meaning the soil takes a long time to drain. That said, you will have your share of mosquitos.

So, is it okay? Yes. Just be aware and read the Property Map and your Schedule A so you know what you can and can not do. Some maps will allow you to remove no more than 2 trees a year and some you can not remove any. Remember that a dead tree that houses a colony of ants can find their way into your home from over 200 feet away. (I was told that by my pest control guy.) Again, read the Property Map and the Schedule A.

Hope this helps.

Linda M. Byrne
Carol Presut…, Agent, Bristol, CT
Tue Jun 11, 2013
As an avid Farmington Land Trust supporter:

The pros: open space is a good feature and conservation space acts as green space - so it is good for the environment and privacy. Town tax issues saves you $.

The cons: an owner must honor the conservation easement and may not build on it, nor remove trees on it. Basically it is left to nature. So if you want to build a pool on it, you may not.
Thank you, Carol. But can any type of activity can be done..like trampoline, fence around the back yard with tall trees (now it is barren with zero privacy.), hot tub, slides, swings, growing veges in a small piece of land at a corner. I am just curious what restrictions it will have.
Flag Tue Jun 11, 2013