Home Buying in Hayward>Question Details

Michael Tsui, Home Buyer in Hayward, CA

Is it normal to use the service of several agents in different locations close and far away to find properties for a buyer? Or you just use one agent

Asked by Michael Tsui, Hayward, CA Mon Oct 21, 2013

Answers

9
It might be better to let each realtor know what you're doing so that it is fair for everyone.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 28, 2013
The short answer is you should use one if at all possible. There are some agencies - like ours - who work in the city and surrounding areas, which allows you the confidence that your agent/broker is going to give you good advice because it doesn't matter where you buy. It's also annoying and much more time consuming to have to deal with multiple agents.

That said, there aren't many who do what we do so you will likely have to use more than one. The best thing you can do is be honest with them so they know the score going in.
Hi Michael,

The short answer to your question is, yes it is. The long answer is, since you are searching so many areas, it is important to find an area specialist that has expanded knowledge of what you are searching for and is aware of the market trends in that city and neighborhood. That will give you the best chance to land a good property for a good deal. The only thing we agents want is transparency. Just advise the respective agent that you are working with others. Some welcome competition and other shy away from it. During that time you can choose if that agent is right for you.

Hamed Barakzoy
Realty World Acclaim
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It would be wise for me to find an agent who knows an area well because what if your agent has more idea in North Bay area and not much about the South Bay. I was thinking of finding an agent who knows the South Bay area such as Castro Valley, Hayward, Fremont area. Where can I find one is my next question? I already have one good in the Oakland area but not in the Hayward area.
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013
Hi Michael,
Good deals find money fast!
I think having several agents looking for you is a good thing!
Let your agents know that your committed to finding a great property and if they find it you will use them.
I like competition, may the best deal win!
Hi Michael,

As a Buyer, I would concentrate on finding a single dedicated Realtor® in the area of where you want to buy. You absolutely want the benifits of professional local knowledge. Keep in mind CA Dept. of Real Estate licensees are NOT bound to a Code of Ethics; only Realtors® take that oath. The one page version can be viewed here: http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/RealtorCOE.pdf

You can check to make sure an Agent is a Realtor® by going here: http://www.realtor.org/rofindrealtor.nsf/pages/FS_FREALTOR?O…

-Steve
Hi Michael, you can use one or many. But, as stated below, you should let the agents know. Your agent is working hard on your behalf, spending their time, trying their best to find you a house that will become a home for your family. They are committed to you. In my opinion, unless you are unhappy with your realtor or have some reason you want to change. I feel you should stick with one you feel comfortable with.
My issue is I'm looking at apartment buildings or multi-units in many different cities from San Francisco to Oakland to Hayward to Castro Valley to any surrounding areas. If I use an agent who specializes in Oakland, it seems hard for him to be involved in Hayward area or in the South Bay. This is why I'm asking. Thanks for all the inputs.
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
You could use different agents, if they cover different areas, otherwise you should choose an agent you like and go with them. If you want an agent to be working for you, you will want them to know you are working with them.
It is always beneficial to use the knowledge of a local real estate agent if you are buying in their area.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
I do not know if there is a norm. If you are using different agents for 2 different locations, I would suggest you let the agents know what is happening.