Is it legal for a non-licensed individual to sell buyer and seller leads to a licensed professional?

Asked by Chris Harris, Chicago, IL Sat Dec 15, 2012

Answers

6
Carla Green, Agent, Breckenridge, CO
Sat Dec 15, 2012
I'm not an attorney and I don't answer legal questions. You should ask an attorney.
My opinion is that they are selling a service or product not real estate.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Sure, but what value do they have?

There are people selling lists of every homeowner in every zip code in the country, but what value does that have to any of us? Sure, they're "leads," but why pay for them?

Virtually everybody who is looking to buy or sell real estate will eventually find either a principal to deal with or a licensed professional to intermediate. What does this "non-licensed individual" have to offer?
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Hi Chris. I would have to agree with Carla's response. You would not be selling real estate, just offering a service. I will tell you Trulia and Zillow have their approach but I would think there is room for others. It would be wise to talk to an Attorney. Good luck.
Brian Rayl, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
Chris,

The laws in most areas state that you can sell contact information, but you cannot collect a commission or be paid a referral fee. There are a ton of companies out there that do this.

Brian Rayl
B&B Realty Group - Keller Williams Elite Dallas TX
214-601-4192
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
http://finddallashomesforsale.com
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Sat Dec 15, 2012
If done correctly and you can find someone that believe in your service, I'm not sure how that would be different from any other legitimate organization selling buyer and seller leads, look at Trulia for example.
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Dec 15, 2012
in Florida it is a misdemeanor.