Is it common to find evidence of settling in Erie, CO?

Asked by Courtney K., 80026 Tue Mar 10, 2009

Is it common to find evidence of settling in Erie, CO? I'm interested in a house in Erie that was built in 2001, but it has a long crack in the basement and a crack on each of the floors above that basement crack. The house has been unoccupied for nearly a year. Should I run the other way?

Answers

6
Lalaena Gonz…, Agent, Westminster, CO
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Courtney, I know you asked this question a while ago but figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Erie definitely has settling, though if you've been looking at houses you might notice that every neighborhood has its own aging process. This has to do with the mitigation that builders did during construction. Some areas, like Meadow Sweet Farm and Country Meadows, are really minimal overall. You'll see it primarily in walkways and driveways. Just east of those subdivisions there is significantly more settling.

As far as the house you're interested in, your agent should be able to direct you to a certified inspector who can provide you with an objective report on the house's condition. No need to run...yet!
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Aug 11, 2011
Hi Courtney:

The bottom line is that some cracks are very serious and others of less concern. It generally is best to get an expert to look at the crack before drawing any conclusions. However, in this case, the cracks upstairs are also of interest and need to be seen by the same expert. There are problems with cracks in a number of homes along the front range, not just from general settling, but also from "expansive soils" (sometimes called bentonite) which cause cracks because they expand with moisture, putting pressure on the walls. As a result, it always is good to have a structural engineer look at a home if there is any question.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Days: 303.981.1617
Evenings: 303.473.1926
ron@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Feb 21, 2011
*** UPDATE ***

Hello Courtney,
That question might best be asked of the planning department for the town of Erie. But, before getting to that, a more common question to ask regarding a home that is almost 10 years old is whether the foundation warranty has not expired. The usual warranty runs 10 years.

You can decide given the cracks whether a warranty that is about to expire is worth exploring.

You can always bring in an engineer to inspect. If I were the prospective buyer, I would insist the seller pay for an inspection by an engineer of my choosing. But, with all the inventory that is available, I would have to first ask myself why go to all this trouble?

Suz
PML of Longmont, CO
Web Reference:  http://www.suzrealestate.com
Laurie, , Boulder, CO
Thu Oct 15, 2009
Hello! I would recommend looking for another house.
How was your house hunting over the summer?
I have (listed) a 2007 home in Erie, on the market for a week, with no cracks!
See 2079 Tundra Cir, Erie CO MLS #611754
Laurie Clark
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
laurie.clark@coloradohomes.com
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Tue Mar 10, 2009
Very Common, My father was a concrete and construction guy and said " there are 2 kinds of Concrete, wet concrete and cracked concrete." A basement floor is like a sidewalk. ( slab on grade) . It can crack with out effecting the foundation. I bet if you look at the downspouts on the gutters there is no extensions and water may get getting close to the home. That is the main cause of cracks. Any home you buy make sure the water is diverted away from the home to prevent possible problems with settling.
Like the other answer said we have expansive soils here and there can be problems.
This is something a Inspector should look at and determine.
Kendra, , Jefferson County, CO
Tue Mar 10, 2009
It completly depends on each individual properties soil. Colorado does have expansive soil and it gets more common the farther west you go. My parents have settlment problems in Arvada and I have seen the issues it has caused. While cracks are a good indicator, it doesnt necessarily mean a bad thing. I would be happy to look at the home with you and give you my opinion and keep in mind, your inspector will also be able to tell you if it is something to be concerned with.

Kendra Lanterman
broker/owner
(720) 434-6432
KLanterman7905@yahoo.com