Home Buying in Maryville>Question Details

T.ramsey, Other/Just Looking in Alcoa, TN

Is it best to use the listing agent if I want to look/buy a home?

Asked by T.ramsey, Alcoa, TN Wed Feb 27, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


When searching for your home it is best to have buyer representation. It costs you nothing for the service. The listing agent is Contracted by the seller to represent them in the sale of their home. Therefore you would be an unrepresented buyer. For additional questions please feel free to call me at 865-789-1672. Thank you. Terri Lawson
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi T.ramsey,
Usually you want to have a real estate agent represent you as apposed to using the listing agent of the listing. You can do it but when that happens the agent must remain neutral.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
The listing agent represents the seller. It is always best to have your own representation in any transaction. You will not have to pay any fees to your buyers agent, that is worked out between the seller and the seller agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 27, 2014
I would absolutely use a separate agent. The buyers agent does not cost anything for the buyer because their commission is only paid if you buy something and is paid by the seller. They are obligated to represent your best interests in the transaction. If you use the listing agent they will have to become a "facilitator" where they will not be working as an agent for either party. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions give me a call or text at 865-607-6992.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 22, 2014
In some cities, dual agency agreements are frowned upon and in some instances the RE Comm. will advise you to get your own representation. I would opt for my own agent, as they will represent my interests. How can it be otherwise?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
The listing agent represents the buyer. It is always best to find an agent that will represent you as the buyer's agent. There are, however, some circumstances, where the listing agent can also assist the buyer. At this point, the agent can become a ficilitator with a neutral position and can assist both seller and buyer through the whole process. For further help, just contact a real estate professional.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
Correction on first line. The listing agent represents the seller. Sorry, just caught this.
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
It is best to use a buyer’s agent preferably one with the designation ABR which is a an ( accredited buyer’s agent). There is no charge for this service and the agent gets to know your needs and specifications and will be on the lookout for that property that best works for you. Find an agent you feel comfortable with build a relationship and let that agent help you and walk you through the buying process including getting pre- approved for a loan.
Good Luck;
Dave Ulrich
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer