mbwingard, Home Buyer in Edmond, OK

Is it beneficial to use a realtor if I am considering purchasing a home through a bulider or will it suffice to stick with the builder's sales person?

Asked by mbwingard, Edmond, OK Mon Oct 14, 2013

Answers

16
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
If the builder you are working with is not a member of COHBA in good standing, then you do need a Realtor. If the builder is in good standing with COHBA then you will be treated fairly.
Bill Hayden, Agent, Edmond, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
By using a Realtor you have your own personal GPS for the Home Buying Process you are about to experience. The Contract - the Builder Sales Representative represents the builder as they are contractually obligated to do so. And your Realtor represents you as they are contractually obligated to do so through each aspect of the contract. Your Realtor is a trusted source for information and can help your navigate through the New Construction Contract. Financing - many Buyers fail to realize they should shop for a mortgage just like they do for a new home. While the Builder's mortgage company may be great, is it the best in terms, interest rate, points, And getting closed on time, etc. Home Inspection - it's new home why should I get a home inspection? Again to look out for your interest. Today many Builders use different tradesmen / women and items can come incomplete or over looked. The Closing Process - as mentioned in the previous statements your Realtor will insure with the title company to manage the process and be with you every step of the way to insure you are not missing anything and to hand you the keys to your new home. In addition, many Realtors do not stop once you move in....most are just a phone call away to help you and your time together through the process develops into a lifelong friendship! Good Luck and if I can help you further, please do not hesitate to ask.
Teri Reed, Agent, Norman, OK
Sun Oct 20, 2013
An experienced Realtor will be beneficial in helping you throughout the buying process. An experienced Realtor can guide you in selecting your neighborhood and helping you find the right builder. Your Realtor-advocate will work to make sure your best interests are represented in the building contract and can ensure that your price is in line with other homes sold in the neighborhood.

I worked with a couple in Edmond a couple of years ago who bought a new home that was almost complete in the $500k+ price range. The builder had a great reputation and said they would do several inspections to make sure the home was built to specifications. I advised my client to get an inspection from a reputable company anyway. The inspector found some electrical wires in the attic that were crossed. This was a fire hazard that was remedied before the couple moved in.

Your home is a major investment. Why not use someone who knows the process to help you?

Teri Reed, Broker/Realtor
Metro Brokers
405.417.1849
email@terireed.net
Russell Bens…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Tue Oct 15, 2013
So when a buyer calls you on your listings, do you refer them to another agent/company so they have their "own" REALTOR?

Again, if you feel like the builder is treating you right, then stick with it. Otherwise if they have the home listed in the MLS, then you should be able to get your own agent to assist you but if not, the builder may not be willing to pay an agent so that would be your responsibility.

Most builders are good people building good quality homes and they will treat you right. Do your research, check references and do what your gut is telling you to do.

Russell Benson, REALTOR®
Prudential Alliance Realty
405.378.4442
rbenson@okcrealtors.com
Jeremy Crites, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Tue Oct 15, 2013
Your home is often the biggest investment you will make. Naturally, it makes sense for you to use a Realtor whom you you can trust to guide you through the entire process - and it costs you nothing.

Your Realtor can help you in many ways, such as offering local expertise on neighborhoods and schools, pointing out ancillary costs like HOA dues and taxes, determining market values, negotiating prices and concessions, offering reliable contacts in the lending/inspection/insurance sectors, and making sure that you find the perfect home that fits your needs so that you don't suffer from buyer's remorse down the road.

As emphasized in other answers, the job of the builder's salesperson is to sell the home at the highest possible price. The choice is obvious: choose a Realtor who listens to your needs and represents your best interests through the entire transaction - all at no cost to you.

Please call me and I will be happy to share why so many other buyers choose me to get them the very best value on the house they will make their home.

Jeremy Crites,
Keller Williams Platinum
405-314-9954
Carolyn Sims, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
It is important to work with a realtor. The realtor will be your advocate. The person working for the builder is a sales person for that builder. The realtor is FREE to you. Be sure to use a realtor who is experienced in working with builders. We know what kind of things that you may be able to get in addition to the standard features. We can also help you when it comes time to close. I attend all of my closings. Often no one from the builder is there to answer any of your questions.

Building a house can be very frustrating. Right now in the Oklahoma City area, there is a shortage of skilled trades people due to the recent tornado. It is important to realize that the time lines for building may be longer than usual.

I would be happy to discuss the things to consider when building. Give me a call for a consultation.

Carolyn Sims
Keller Williams Realty Elite
405-808-7922
Web Reference:  http://carolynsimshomes.com
Aaron and Ch…, Agent, Eau Claire, WI
Mon Oct 14, 2013
I would definitely recommend working with a Realtor. This way you can have someone looking out for you and your lender will probabaly require an actual contract, which a Realtor can write up for you.
Monica Schul…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Always use a Realtor! That is of course if you want someone to represent your best interests. Any representative of the builder is looking our for the best interest of builder, not yours. Call me so we can chat more about this. To give you an example, the final inspection. Most builders will have their inspectors look at the house, but wouldn't you prefer to have "Your" inspector look at the house? Looking out for your best interests is what I do. Best regards, Monica
Ritchy Haynes, , Denver, CO
Mon Oct 14, 2013
It is always a good idea to use a realtor, that way your interests are being representing separately from the seller!
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
One more thing the Realtor for the Builder is hired by the Builder and looks out strictly for the Builder
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Yes it is beneficial to use a Realtor: The Builder has a Realtor to help with his affairs so yes you need a realtor on your side to help with your affairs, plus we as Realtors some times can get you things you yourself may not get and do not know you can get them,

I would be glad to help you in any way i can: Thank you for the opportunity:

John Phillips
Re/Max Preferred Properties
The Belknap…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
It is always a good idea to have a buyer's agent whether purchasing new or existing property. The listing agent represents the seller and is there for his/her benefit, not yours. You need someone on your side to assist you through the process and make sure the terms of the contract are to your benefit. A Realtor may also be able to offer suggestions on similar products in different areas that you are not aware of or had not considered. A lot of times builder inventory is not on the MLS and, therefore, not searchable. As a Realtor, it is my job to find product that matches your needs. I am very familiar with the new construction/builder product in Edmond and would be happy to help you if you are interested.

Michelle Foy Belknap
Verbode. A Better Way to Real Estate
405-365-5320
michelle@buygreenokc.com
Russell Bens…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
While I think you always need to have someone working on your behalf, I know there are good and caring builders out there and you will get treated just fine using their people BUT if you, at any time feel like you're not getting the service your need or desire, then sit down and try to discuss it with them. Many times with a new home you have to pay the price of the home but you can often get extras so make sure you ask the builder about specials or incentives they might be offering or willing to offer and be sure to check around to see if other builders are offering anything and then ask your builder to match it but most of all make sure you are getting a good house for the price.

Your new home buying experience should be a good and pleasant one so you can enjoy your new home for years to come. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Russell Benson, REALTOR®
Prudential Alliance Realty
405.378.4442
rbenson@okcrealtors.com
Sarah Bytyqi, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Buying new construction is in many ways a little more intensive than purchasing an existing home. There are details that you might overlook in negotiations as well as during the pending completion process. It's always a good idea to have an advocate working on your behalf to help you navigate through the process. Be sure and ask potential agents specific questions about their experience in both new construction and the area. Hope it helps!
Julie Howell, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Consider that the sales person is representing the builder. I feel it is important to have your own representation, that looks out for your interests. The builder pays the realtor commissions whether he pays his own, or yours.
Wells Bridge…, Agent, OKC, OK
Mon Oct 14, 2013
It's definitely a good idea to work with a Realtor. We have experience with contracts and can make sure your terms are right.
Please let me know if you'd like some help.
Best of luck,
Bridgett Wells
Keller Williams Elite
651-9320
Bridgettwells@kw.com