Is it a good idea to hire an inexperienced homebuyer to assist me in buying my first home?

Asked by Danielle, Grand Rapids, MI Sun Nov 4, 2012

am a first time homebuyer looking to buy a home in Grand Rapids area of Michigan. I have contacted a few realtors to learn about the process, and one woman was particularly helpful. She understands I am living in a hotel and have the money and I am very ready. She is however new to real estate, not sales, but real estate. I'm wondering if its a good idea to hire her because I do like her, but I'm afraid of her inexperience. She works for a major company however. Please help!! =)

Answers

13
Jeff Kremers, Agent, Grandville, MI
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Best to let inexperienced Realtors learn on their friends and relatives. Hire a seasoned professional who can provide you with multiple references from past clients.
Ashley Fann…, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Thu Nov 8, 2012
Hi Danielle,
I am new to the real estate business as well so I can tell you the buying process is pretty complex. There are a ton of steps that you will have to go through in order to purchase a home. As your realtor she will have to walk you through everything very carefully and if she does miss something or make an error it can lead to a big disaster! Although, you do like her and want to hire her I think it's best to go with someone who has more experience. I work for a smaller real estate company here in Grand Rapids as an office assistant at ListTrue and because were smaller we offer the lowest rates in town! Our buyers rebate program will give you a percentage back from that 3% commission that larger real estate company's charge you. Not to mention, our broker Mitch Fannon handles our leads in the Grand Rapids area he has over 17 years of experience and was awarded one of the top 5 realtors in Grand Rapids. I know you like her but make sure you get the help you deserve and can trust. Check us out online http://www.ListTrue.com or you can email me at any time Ashley.Fannon@List.True.com. I promise we have the best customer service and we will make sure everything is 100% before you buy! Hope this helps! :)
Are you serious???? You just totally dismissed the fact that the new agent has to start somewhere and that she may have a network of support in her office! Unbelieveable.
Flag Thu Aug 27, 2015
Brek Schutten, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Inexperience can cause some challenges but they can be overcome if the agent is willing to ask questions and dig deep for answers. As long as the agent has a strong support system in place, it should not be a problem.
Web Reference:  http://www.brekschutten.com
ListTrue, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Danielle,

Trust your instincts on this! You are about to do a major purchase in your life and you definitely should choose a person you are comfortable with and who has the experience to get you through it! Some deals can go rather smooth and other can turn into nightmares. It doesn't sound like you are comfortable with this particular agent so I would consider another one before buying. Oh and don't choose someone just because they work for a large company. Some of the best agent around are independents! I wish you the best!
Karl Roelofs, , Grand Rapids, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Please do not!! I am an experienced realtor. Please call me at 616 308 2631, or email me at kroelofs@grar.com. I will be able to help you with loan approval, and also with finding the right home for you to buy.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Thanks!!

Karl Roelofs
Ron Hudson, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Be upfront with the agent. Let her know you like her but would prefer someone with more experience. You could offer to help her get experience without compromising yourself by asking her to bring on a veteran agent to walk you both thru the transaction. She would not receive a full commission but would cement her relationship with you, and relationships are a valuable commodity in our industry. Good luck!
Dan Stegman, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Someone new in real estate can often overcome their inexperience by putting in extra effort and getting help from a mentor or manager. The fact that you are asking about this makes me think you are not comfortable with this person so that could be your red flag. I'd be happy to help you. 361-6678.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Danielle...
The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your agent and TRUST her. Experience CAN be better, but a shifty, insincere agent with a lot of experience would be a LOT worse than an honest, hard-working agent with less experience. Best of luck...
Grhomes Kirk, Home Buyer, Kentwood, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Danielle,

I am experienced. My team will work with your schedule and we work with lenders that get results-not lenders that can not meet deadlines.If you want results, someone who works with you to find your first home, I am your new realtor.

Kirk
call anytime
7888291
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Hi Danielle,

I would recommend working with an experienced buyers agent. Find someone you are comfortable with who has the experience working with first time homebuyers. Especially since you are living in a hotel. You need someone with experience to make sure your deal goes smoothly.

I wish you the best of luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Quite often a home buyer will believe the difficulty they encounter in find a home to buy is because of their agent. More often the issue is the parameters the buyer has delivered to the agent.

For instance, a recent buyer in Palm Harbor was looking for a single family home for $60,000.....or less. A new agent would be happy to assist this buyer, being unaware there is no livable single family home at that price. The buyer could easily believe their rookie agent is the problem. But, no, it's the price point, the two large dogs, the required garage and two baths that dictate no home are available. We all search the same database to which the rookie has access. Veterans, however, have alternate sources for those 'hard to find' and 'First look' purchases.

Here is what you hire a real estate professional to do. (by the way, you have not hired anyone without a buyer contract in place):
1. Consult,
2. Negotiate and
2. Oversee the transaction.
Showing you homes is NOT the important elements of what you need. If these skills are NOT clearly evident or immediately accessible you may be in for a emotional ride.

Best of success to you,

Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor
727.420.4041
http://RealEstataeMadeEZ.us
Kris Rillema, Agent, Georgetown Township, MI
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Good morning Danielle,

The best advice is to keep looking if you are not comfortable with the Realtors that you have already talked to. Purchasing a home is major event and you need to have confidence that the agent you are working is up to the job. I have worked with several first time home buyers and would be happy to have the opportunity help you with yours. Please contact me at your convenience and we can get started right away.

Kris Rillema
Leading Edge Realty
616-550-6037
KrisRillema@grar.com
Tracy Robins…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hello Danielle

Not sure what you mean by she is into real estate but not sales. If you want the real down low on buying a house hire a license real estate agent and go to lunch with your friend who is into real estate but not sales. You can even ask your friend for an referral from her company. Even if a agent does not have alot of experience...number one they have taken the test and are legally able to practice and sell real estate. A new agent can and will for the most part ask their broker who is responsible for the new agent actions or a agent who has been in the business for fifteen and above years or a top producing agent are sources that a new agent can rely on to get the answers needed so the transaction can be serviced for you as if the top producer or more experienced agent had the transaction from beginning to end. Everybody starts somewhere and it's done more often then not. Some offices has an mentoring program where the experience agent will walk the new agent for the first few transaction or until the new agent is comfortable performing on (new agent) their own. A referral fee is sometimes involved which comes out of the new agent commissions.

Tracy Robinson-Realtor
KELLER WILLIAMS PREFERRED
62 South Main Street
Yardley, Pa 19067
Office: 215-493-0200 ext 1087
Direct: 267-395-0251
tracyrobinson@kw.com
thanks so much for your reply. Let me be more clear, the person I am considering hiring is experienced in the sales field, but is new to the real estate field. So, experienced in other areas of sales, but just became a real estate agent.

She is new and has a mentor, so from the sound of your answer, I guess since I like her, I should giver her a shot.

Thanks, I look forward to more opinions!! =)
Flag Sun Nov 4, 2012