Is hurricane an issue in Orlando?

Asked by pattymatt2003, Los Angeles, CA Wed Feb 27, 2013

I am interested in buying a vacation home in Orlando, but have some concerns about hurricane issue. Could anybody please share his or her own experience when hurricane season coming? Is this area severely hit by hurricane, or it is still OK? Another question is how much home insurance for a 3 bedroom 2 bath (around 1500 sq) house generally? Any suggestion or information is very welcome. Thanks a lot!

Answers

15
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Thu Feb 28, 2013
Yes and No. Do we have hurricanes passing by, yes, but the last one was in 2005. Let's face it the last two monster storms, Irene and Sandy, did nothing to us and huge damage to New Jersey, New York, and New England. So if you are that worried about the issue, then maybe you should forget the entire Gulf and East Coasts. The key word there being coasts. We are 60 to 80 miles inland.

Best advice when it comes to storms is buy as new as your budget will allow. The Florida Building Code gets updated every three years and strom resistance standards go up each time.

Insurance for the size home you suggest should run $600 to $800 per year. If you were on the coast you could multiply that by 2 or 3.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Tue Mar 19, 2013
When did this become Match.com? I've seen more of these silly proposition emails lately than ever before...
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Florida will always get hit by hurricanes it does almost annually, it's only a matter of time. No one can predict the next hurricane or where it's going to hit, but I can tell you without a doubt Florida will be hit by one or more hurricanes almost every year. Their not all monster storms and Orlando isn't as prone as other parts of Florida but it's certainly not exempt. . Hard for anyone to answer your insurance question as there are too many unknowns (exact location, age of home, cost of home, etc etc)
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Wed Mar 6, 2013
I think all of Florida can be possibly hit by Hurricanes. Is it possible yes? When? You never know. If you don't want hurricanes don't buy in Florida or the east coast. At some point in your lifetime one may happen. Just leave the area when they tell you too.
Abraham Bidh…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Feb 28, 2013
Hi Patty:

Of course like any other natural disaster there is no way of predicting hurricanes. The good thing Central area has going for it, is it is inland so our chances of getting hit as bad as coastal areas is slim. Having said that, that is why we pay for our insurance right?

A 3 bedroom home would run you anywhere between $600/Year to $1200/Year (the rate varies drastically since the age of the building, the age of the roof, the roof structure, the city the homes is located at,…also if you were to use the home part time or full time can affect the rates).

Usually the newer the home the better and safer the building codes are. So I would stay away from older homes as much as possible. Specially knowing that this will be a vacation home, you do not want to tackle with maintenance issues that come with an older home.

Below is the link to some vacation homes in central Florida:

http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com/listings/areas/9995…

Hope it helps.

Abraham Bidhendi
Top Producer Realtor® with over 25 years of experience
Awarded as Exit's TOP Buyer side Transactions for the State of Florida
We have had 142 successful transactions during the past year alone.
Exit Realty Access, LLC
Direct: (407) 744-2533
Fax: (407) 444-9925
Email: REOsofflorida@msn.com
Website: http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com
Kissimmee Office: 391 N. Main St., Kissimmee, FL 34741
Altamonte Springs Office: 660 Palm Springs Dr., Suite D, Altamonte
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Feb 28, 2013
Patty,
You've watched the news and saw those weather maps showing the circular patterns of the ultra low pressure system that is a hurricane. You may have noticed the diameter of this pattern can be in excess of 500 MILES. Where in Florida do you think one can escape? You can not!
Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa or even Buchswachy Village will know a hurricane is present.
As others have pointed out....EVERYPLACE HAS IT"S STUFF.
-
Your concern regarding a hurricane is misplaced. IT is not the wind that causes the devastation, it's the storm surge. Orlando is will well removed from any storm surge potential. But, yes carports will blow away, trees will tumble over, homes formerly on wheels will be disassembled, and many, many, many idiot weather people will stand in the gale and say, "Don't try this at home." :) That's when I head for the beach because I'm certainly NOT going to sell any real estate!

You will love it here if you CHOOSE to embrace, not fear, all that Florida has to offer. High energy weather is one of those elements. It does not matter if it's a blizzard, drought, or hurricane. preparation is the essential action of responsible people. Preparation 's the difference between being stuck in a empty parking lot at -20 degrees and a dead battery, sliding off the road in a blizzard and risking carbon monoxide poisoning and watching a ultra low pressure system dance it way up the coast. Those responsible folks who prepare don't live in fear.

Best of success,
Annette.
..."homes formerly on wheels will be disassembled"... Hilarious!
Flag Mon Jul 20, 2015
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Thu Feb 28, 2013
I would also add that, while Orlando is still certainly at risk, it is the location that the United States Coast Guard and the United States Navy have selected as their "muster point" for their personnel when they evacuate the Keys for a hurricane, suggesting that Orlando is relatively safe...
Roberta Shoo…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
The one thing that I would add to everyone elses answers is that if you are planning to purchase a home in any area where there are hurricanes, and a named storm is "out there" the insurance companies will stop writing policies when the storm gets with in a certian distance of land. So if you are going to purchase during hurricane season, just keep that in mind. This could stop the sale process until the threat of the storm is passed.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hurricane activity is a huge threat for coastal areas from Texas to Maine. There are locations that are ha higher risk than others. The Keys, Outer Banks, New Orleans etc. are some examples of high risk locations.

Orlando's distance from the Gulf or Atlantic Ocean does demininsh the potential for major damage but it should still be considered a potential problem.

Consider contacting Chris at "weinsureflorida.com" He will be able to provide you with the detailed information you need. 941-320-7077
Yanoska Diaz, Agent, Miami, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Orlando is located in the middle of the State and hurricane warnings and/or occurrences are not as typical nor as severe as in the coastal cities. In case of a hurricane alert you should have plenty of time to notify the property manager to secure the home.
Carri Schoel…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi Patty:

I've been here for 21yrs and originally from Ontario Canada in the Great Lakes region where hurricanes are a foreign concept. Being in Orlando smack dab in the middle of the State it is the "safest" place in Florida during hurricane season. Of course like Carol said we all had that change in 2004-05 when we were struck with 4 hurricanes that went right thu Orlando. But once they get to the middle of the State they slow down significantly and do minor damage compared to the Coastal Regions that can get hit much harder. The chances that will happen again will probably be another 40-50yrs. So I would not let your fear of hurricanes deny you the enjoyment our magnificent weather here in Orlando. If I can be of any help with your vacation home search please contact me below.

Carri Schoeller ABR, e-PRO
Charles Rutenberg Realty
cps@orlandorelocation.com
407-492-8559
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
To put a finer edge on Erik's rant...my inlaws on Long Island have had more hurricanes in each of the last two years than I have here in Key West. Never know where and when Mother Nature is going to strike. I will also say, we here in the Keys (and central Florida to a lessor extent) are far better equipped and prepared to deal with such storms than places up north that don't really expect to see them.
Erik Fack, , Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
oh yeah, the sales pitch... I can do a home inspection and a "wind mitigation" before you buy a home if it has all the hurricane proofing and you take the report to your insurance company, you can save a couple of hundred dollars on your insurance. Pays for the inspection and then some!
If you work with a Realtor, they know if the home is old enough to benefit from a "wind mit" or not... so ask your Realtor (or me) and they will tell you if it is worth the extra cost..
Erik Fack, , Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
I loooooooovvvvvveeeee this question, everybody keeps asking me this or keeps saying "but the hurricanes"... Every year I hear news about an earthquake or a landslide or a fire in California. Or tornadoes in the Midwest and snowstorms... but people keep saying "the hurricanes".
You can't predict natural disasters and there has been significant damage to homes in the coastal areas but all I do is watch the news about the Midwest and California and the cold weather in Atlanta and I go sit by my pool with a Margarita. And if there is a hurricane warning, I put my garden furniture in the garage and play board games with my kids...
(I pay $650 per year for a 3000sqft home)
Carol Bauza, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi pattymatt2003,
Thanks for turning to Trulia for your real estate questions.

Hurricanes were not that big of an issue till the ones we had (4 in a row) back in 2005.
Now we all are a little more cautious when they issue warnings....but fear not, it was 40 years before that where there was any concern or a hurricane that threatened Central Florida.
Insurance premiums will very per house and location and age.
New builds have all the hurricane bells and whistles.

If I can help you find that vacation home I would be honored.

Let me know,

Carol Bauza
Charles Rutenberg Realty
carol@carolshome.com