Is flooding a major issue in the Hideout (Lake Ariel, Pa)?

Asked by Titanic1974, Lake Ariel, PA Thu Oct 10, 2013

We are looking to buy there, but were warned about being in an AE Flood Zone. Will this add considerable cost to insurance?

Answers

2
Eileen and H…, Agent, Lake Ariel, PA
Thu Oct 10, 2013
The Hideout planned ahead when developing the community and the lowest laying areas were set aside for recreational purposes. Those areas include the Marina, North Beach, Holiday Park and the golf course. While those areas don't flood often, every few years we seem to get a superstorm and it may take a day or two for the water to subside. Due to this planning flooding of homes is generally not a major issue for most of the Hideout. However, FEMA recently re-zoned the area resulting in many homes now appearing to be in a flood zone. I know of several homeowners in the Hideout cuurently appealing the designation because it does add significantly to the insurance costs required by the mortgage holder. There are plenty of homes NOT listed in the flood zones, in fact about 80% are not affected. If you would like additional information http://www.floodsmart.gov is the FEMA flood map site. Hope this helps!
Mark T. Bond, Agent, Hamlin, PA
Thu Oct 10, 2013
Good Afternoon,
As a result of the Regional Re-designation of Flood Zones by FEMA on 15 MAY, there are very specific procedures to follow to navigate...or I should say, CIRCUMNAVIGATE, the AE obstacles.
I've sold many waterfront homes this summer...very familiar with the process and I'd be happy to help. Two items I can mention...premiums for flood insurance range widely from zone-to-zone, as you can imagine. And I'm not aware of ANY homeowners in The Hideout being refused on appeal.
Feel free to contact me anytime:

Mark T. Bond

palakehomes@aol.com

888-332-2121 x 29