Is cumming,GA the right place?

Asked by Momofthree3, North Carolina Tue Apr 7, 2009

Family of four relocating to GA from NC. Husband will be working in Duluth and we are looking at Cumming area. We love the schools, and the area. Is the drive going to be too long for my husband?

Answers

5
The Sherry a…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Wed Apr 8, 2009
HI Mom of 3!

I'd like to offer the services of my business partner, Maria. Maria works solely with buyers. She is also from NC, a little town called Greenville. We both live in South Forsyth (Cumming) and love it here. We are just minutes away from a new outdoor mall, The Avenue Forsyth, love the schools and the people. You will find people to be very friendly here.

There is lots to think about when purchasing a home. The commute is important. It depends on where your husband works in Duluth and which roads he will need to take. Hwy 141 is under construction right now so it gets a little backed up and McGinnis Ferry can be tough in the peak commuting hours but they will be expanding to 4 lanes also. You need to talk to an agent that really knows the area well and what changes are taking place in the near future.

There is more than the commute to consider though... since you have kids, I'm sure schools are very important. I've attached a link to Forsyth County Schools below. Greatschools.net is ok but you can get some angry parents on their that speak their mind about a certain school. I'd look at the stats from the county website and then we can help you with specific questions about which schools offer the best programs for your kids. It just depends on what they are into. There is a new highschool, Lambert if your kids are older. The current high school in the south end of Forsyth, South Forsyth HS (yes, they're creative, aren't they) has an IB program, a great DECA program, a culinary school... just about anything your kids could want. Lambert will have those programs too eventually. It will take some time.

Other considerations... what extracurricular activities do your kids have that you may want to be close to? Do you golf or play tennis? Do you want to be in a swim/tennis community? Do you like larger communties or smaller? And of course, price range and what your "must haves" are for the house. I think the southeastern end of the county would work for you and the taxes will be lower. Houses are a little newer in general because this area expanded later than Duluth and Johns Creek (was Alpharetta). Johns Creek is an option too though. Maria will help assess your needs and preview homes in advance for you so that your home search is easier, and much more fun! You'll love her!

There are lots of good deals out there and we have some builders that have unfortunately gone under, creating some great deals on new construction. We are seeing inventory decline though which makes me think we're bottoming out (inventory is down to 8 months on hand from 11 late last year), and rates are still fantastic, so now is the time to buy!

Please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or if we can help direct you to another source of information. We do know the area very well.

Here's the county school link:

http://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/forsyth/site/default.asp

Welcome to Georgia!

Sherry Ajluni
The Sherry and Maria Team
Keller Williams
Sherry- 678-283-1710
Maria- 678-548-5513
Check out our website to search all homes and for community information!
http://www.sherryandmariateam.com
Karen Mastra…, Agent, Cumming, GA
Wed Apr 8, 2009
It certainly IS! Of course I am biased. My husband and I moved here 11 years ago and we love it. We moved to the southern area of Forsyth County mostly to reduce our property tax bill and get closer to my husbands job. Forsyth County has one of the lowest millage rates in metro Atlanta and tons of available homes to choose from. You can choose from a multitude of new homes or resales. The most expensive Forsyth real estate is in the southern portion of the county (South of Hwy. 20 and East of Hwy 400), primarily because of schools and access to major highways. I imagine proximity to the lake is a factor also. I recommend the http://www.greatschools.net website for info about the local schools. The answer about drive time really does depend on where in Cumming and where in Duluth. But I would think that a home in the southern portion of the county would make for an easy drive. Choose a realtor that lives in and works this area so you can get insight into the traffic patterns as well as the best communities. WELCOME! I know you will like it here.

Karen Mastrangelo
Results Realty Services
404-406-8050
Lorie Gould, Agent, Duluth, GA
Tue Apr 7, 2009
Hello Mom of Three... I am a fellow Mom of Three!

I love Cumming. Area 30041 which you have noted is East of Georgia 400. 30041 offers a reasonable commute to Duluth with several different routes as options. The schools are excellent not to mention the shopping, restaurants, and recreation in the area.

Are you currently in Georgia looking at homes or are you planning your visit? It would be my pleasure to assist you in finding a great home at a fabulous price! So many great neighborhoods in 30041. I work closely with a fabulous lender that is currently offering free 1% rate buy down for homes buyers. If you are planning on financing your new home you should absolutely give her a call!

Lorie Gould
Associate Broker
Keller WIlliams Realty Atlanta Partners

678-428-5841
Lorie@HomesByLorie.com
Web Reference:  http://www.HomesByLorie.com
Lee Adkins, Agent, Roswell, GA
Tue Apr 7, 2009
The Cumming area - like all of Georgia - is a pretty big area with highly irregular boundaries.
So there are portions of Cumming (or even Alpharetta in Forsyth county) that are very close to Duluth.
There are also areas considered Cumming that could be up to an hour drive with traffic.

Check out http://www.greatschools.net for information on any local schools. There is lots of redistricting going on in this area and you might check each counties website as well to be sure of a properties school district for the 09-10 school year.

Duluth itself and especially North Fulton county have some great areas, excellent schools and great neighborhoods. Your best bet is to make some time to come down here and get a better feel for the area.

I would be happy to help or answer additional questions if you like.

Lee
leeadkins@remax.net
404 966 3247
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Apr 7, 2009
A question only you and your family can answer with any degree of certainty..........