Is an attorney really needed?

Asked by T0wnp1ann3r, Westfield, NJ Sat Nov 24, 2012

Everything I've read that talks about attorneys involved in the purchasing process is about helping the buyer undertand the contract. I can understand contracts quite well myself, so I can't see what an attorney could add to the situation. What percentage of house purchases in Middlesex County for around 250k actually involve a purchasing attorney?

Answers

7
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Tue Jan 1, 2013
In NJ you are not required to be represented by an attorney for a real estate closing but it is advisable to do so. If you are concerned about saving money most title companies will represent you for a closing & also have legal representation available for you for a small add'l fee.
Mikel DeFran…, Agent, Canton, MA
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Almost all. There is a significant chance that a purchase without an attorney will go OK... but of course if the bleep hits the fan you'll be cursing yourself for trying to save a couple hundred bucks on the most important purchase of your life. Even Attorneys who do not practice R.E. exclusively make significant mistakes in the actual relevance and practical application of how terms in a contract can be applied. Use an attorney ...
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sat Nov 24, 2012
That's great that you have experience in contracts! A real plus for you and your Agent. An attorney is not often needed in a Real Estate transaction, unless there are problems. I have never needed to call upon one except for advice.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Nov 24, 2012
Why not protect yourself and use an attorney, it could prove to be money well spent....
Diane Vanvli…, , New Jersey
Sat Nov 24, 2012
Alex said it perfectly...The biggest purchase for most peoples life is their home..For a small fee, why would you ever take the chance...I am Mon,outh county agent and have never heard of anyone not using an attorney..

The best of luck to you
Alex Kushnir, Agent, Monmouth, IL
Sat Nov 24, 2012
If you feel competent enough to make one of the bigest purchases in your life without legal representation, than you do not need an attorney.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sat Nov 24, 2012
An attorney draws up every deed so my guess would be an attorney is somehow involved in all purchases to some degree.