Is a credit check required to get a lease purchase home? I am working on my credit but i need 6 months to a year.

Asked by fthom58543, Lafitte, LA Sat Feb 8, 2014

Answers

1
Brian Acey, Agent, Everett, WA
Sat Feb 8, 2014
A credit check may be required, depending on the seller. Most people that are interested in a lease-purchase are in need of help with their credit, otherwise they would be looking to purchase. Beware of lease-purchase contracts, they can be fraught with things that may cost you a ton of money. Also, make sure that you work diligently to improve your credit (working closely with a mortgage professional consistently will improve your chances of improving your credit and can shave a lot of time off the process). Most lease purchase contracts call for an "option fee". The option fee is paid to the seller and is (usually) applied to your down payment if you end up purchasing the property. If you fail to purchase the property during the option period, you lose it entirely. There are some companies now that will actually purchase the home of your choice and give you up to 6 years to exercise your option. Check out the lease option contracts, have them reviewed by an attorney before you sign on the dotted line. Good luck.