Is a buyer obligated to sign "Buyer's Walk-Through and Acceptance Form"?

Asked by Rcyc, Houston, TX Mon Dec 7, 2009

I bought a townhome and closed the deal two weeks ago. Few days after closing, the seller's realtor asked me, through my realtor, to sign "Buyer's Walk-Through and Acceptance Form". Is a buyer obligated to sign the form? The deal is already closed. I feel I do not have any obligation to sign any more papers. They've been pushing me to sign it. I really hesitate to sign anything. Would really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Answers

5
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Dec 8, 2009
We are not aware of a regulation that says that all buyers MUST sign a "Final Walk Thru" form. This is generally a step required of agents by their Broker that clarifies:

1. that a final walk thru has been offered to the buyer

2. that the buyer either elects or chooses not to do a walk thru

3. that the visual inspection of the home is acceptable

Additionally, it is an opportunity for the buyer to note in writing any issues that need to be brought to the attention of the seller. ie. an identified repair item that has not been completed or damage was done to the property between the time you went to contract and when you are scheduled to close.
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Jan 2, 2010
I agree with Ronda, the agent didn't get it done if their broker requires it. There is no law requiring you to sign it by any means. Yes you signed many papers at the title company and several of them have already addressed this and you signed it. This is just another broker version.

If you agree with what it says, then just sign it and move on.

Naima
214-289-8555
Naima@Sumner-Realty.com
Web Reference:  http://www.SumnerRealty.com
Ronda Allen, Agent, Plano, TX
Thu Dec 31, 2009
Sounds like a buyer's agent who didn't get their work done ahead of closing and a selling agent who was just trying to complete their file for their office. You should not feel obligated to sign this after closing/funding. It should have been presented by your buyer's agent on the day you completed your final walk-thru and it should have been presented by the buyer's agent to the selling agent to complete both of their files.

Have a blessed day!
Ronda

Ronda Allen, Realtor and Certified Purchasing Manager
CEO of comingsoonhomes.com of Dallas/Fort Worth
RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs
Vickey Wacht…, Agent, Katy, TX
Thu Dec 31, 2009
Rcyc
There are offices that require all forms to be complete in order for the agent to get paid, if they are pushing this could be one of them. The form simply states that the property is in the same condition the day of closing as it was when you wrote the contract.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Dec 13, 2009
It could be for their broker files HOWEVER if you closed it means you accepted the property day of closing. Confer with you agent I don't see where after fact have any consideration. It should have been completed prior to close.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com