Is a bath considered a full bath if it has a shower instead of a tub?

Asked by Nancyblattner, Tulsa, OK Sun Jun 22, 2014

I have 3 full baths, two are tiled and elegant, one has a moulded, plastic tub and enclosure. Can I tear out the tub and make a large shower, tiled and not lose the designation of a full bath. Will it lower the value of my home or increase it?

Answers

3
Roger McClure, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Wed Nov 19, 2014
If a bathroom has a sink, toilet and a shower or a tub it is considered a full bath. You do not have to have both a shower and tub.
Steve McGive…, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Thu Nov 6, 2014
Some questions: Do either of the other two baths have a bathtub, or will this project remove the only bathtub in the house? How large is this bathroom? ideally a full size bathroom should measure at least 6 feet by 8 feet.

Your question would be answered by the market reaction and that is tough to put a value on without comparing sales of similar homes in your neighborhood. I would think that updating and increasing the quality of materials would be a plus while not having a tub to soak in within the home (if this is the case) would be a minus.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Jun 22, 2014
Nancy,
I've heard agents argue over this for years. Your local MLS may have a rule that spells this out. What I've heard is that if there is an oversized shower, large enough for a 5' tub, you can call it a full bath. Now others have disagreed, if there is no tub it's a 3/4.
I don't think either setting will hurt your value as long as you do a very nice job on the shower and there is still a Tub for those who like to soak.
The other question is are you doing it for your own enjoyment or for strictly resale. For your own enjoyment and a medium to long range ownership, do what you like. If you're reselling right away, it may not be worth the expense. I'd want to see your competition before making any final suggestions.