Home Buying in Stockton>Question Details

lmc, Home Buyer in Tracy, CA

Is Weston Ranch a good place to purchase rental property?

Asked by lmc, Tracy, CA Sun May 3, 2009

I'm looking for an investment property and have been attracted to the low prices for relatively new homes in the Weston Ranch area. I also like the fact that this area although in Stockton is in the Manteca school district. My Realtor has advised me against this area because of the high crime rate. Is he correct or am I right in thinking this is a good place to invest my money?

Wayne is right about the high vacancy rate and the location is less than ideal for working folks. The crime rate in WR is higher than other locations, it's true. In terms of investment opportunities, I am not sure that purchasing a sfr in WR is the best ROI but you could certainly do worse. As a long-term investment it is not a bad idea but you will probably be out-of-pocket for the first few years because rents are low and probably won't cover all your expenses. The answer depends on your goals. A good investment advisor always asks what the client's goals are. I assume you want to protect and grow your money. This is a great time to buy re in WR and elsewhere in Stockton. Prices are very attractive and great investment opportunities are out there. Don't be afraid to make a low offer and wait. You can get a terrific deal if you have patience. Will you get rich quick? I doubt it but your investment should be fairly safe and poised for growth. Good luck.
Try manteca? Weston ranch has GREAT DEALS for a Flip, since those in the Bay Area would make the commute in order to own a 2000+ sq ft home for less than a rental payment! But as a rental market: no way. Too many vacancies.

BTW- it DOES NOT have a hihg crime rate compared to Stockton. We have monthly community meetings and reports from the PD, and we do not have much crime here. Yet, this is a Stockton zip code. The schools are improving test scores, and it is a nice community, although more culturally diverse then Tracy.

Manteca is the hot market! Look to the grwoth in retail which fuels the demand. It is also an easier commute for some.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 4, 2009
100% Not. There are too many rentals left vacant. Not a good commute location.... Why would someone rent here when they could rent closer to their jobs? WR is a place to buy a newer home as a first time purchase, or larger home.

I personally know homes that are good quality rentals that have had numerous problems with the renters, and over the years have seen so many issues. Homes lay vacant everywhere--hoping for tenants.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 3, 2009
It is good rental area. Good return on investment. Use a property management company that is well represented in the area. Because of the increased buyers in the Stockton investment homes it is taking longer to rent homes throughout the city.
Weston Ranch still remains highly desirable because of their school district. It still attracts many renters and investors. As far as crime goes, a realtor cannot steer a person to or from a neighborhood becuase they say it has a 'high crime rate'. That is called steering. It is against the Fair Housing Practice. My opinion is it is still a good place to buy.
Thanks for your question, Leni
BTW- Our schools are in the Manteca School District, not Stockton. I stil feel that Manteca has a much better rental market than anywhere in Stockton-- it has been stores and a safer enviornment for families. Just my opinion.

The deals in Weston Ranch are amazing, but it has ALWASY been difficult to find tenants!
Hello Imc,

Weston Ranch is an excellant location to purchase a rental investment property. The location is very convenient for the bay area commuters and as you mentioned the school district is a plus in the Stockton area. The prices in the Weston Ranch are very distressed, due to the high rate of foreclosures in the past few years, which of course is very comman all over California and much of the rest of the country. In my opinion, these times are a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a fantastic investment! But always remember that real estate should be a long term investment!!!
There are much better places in stockton that would make for a better investment. Prices maybe lower in WR(weston Ranch) but the turn-over in tenants would be much higher. I would recommend you look in Lincoln Village, where homes are in the $90-125K range and in the Lincoln School District. These homes are always desirable and are perfect for young families who want their children in Lincoln schools. It is easier to find tenants. I manage a property their, and when the property goes vacant it is filled quickly.

I would also look in the Stonewood area as well as it sits in Lodi Unified school district and consists of a nice famiy community.
These are two communities which would make for a good long term rental. Plus the Cash flow now has never been better!
Hope this helps. If you need more recommendations on stockton areas feel free to contact me.

David McKeever
I agree with Wayne. I have seen lately in Weston Ranch that the number of rentals have increased through the roof. Not the right place for investment.
Thanks for your responses. I appreciate your input. My investment goal is to have the rent cover all expenses plus give me a small positive monthly amount. I also plan to hold the property for at least 10 years. I bought a rental late last year in Tracy that brings in 450+ after a 20% down payment. We signed a lease even before the home was completed with all the renovations. I am priced out of the current Tracy market because of the insane buyers frenzy that the lack of inventory has created(10+ offers/20K over asking). I was hoping Weston ranch would give me the same results I have experienced in tracy. If Weston Ranch is not the place to go; what areas would you suggest? I want to stay within a 20 mile radius of Tracy. I can also wait a couple of months and see if the lifting of the foreclosure moratoriums will help with inventory. Any suggestions?