Is SEMA a thing? Will the trendy South East Mission Area name actually catch on?

Asked by Trulia San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Mon Mar 4, 2013

Answers

2
Ben Rojas, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Jan 20, 2014
I just got back from NYC and from what it looks like they started the micro-neighborhood naming trend. DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) was the most notable addition to the map. However, this naming trend was noted starting back in 2011 when realtors were trying to craft an image of an area or rebrand a community with a newer, trendier name, see article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/nyregion/procro-sobro-fidi…

So whether this trend will stick or not depends on the residents who move in and decide to adopt the new name or keep their old one. SEMA- I think is probably going to stick around given all the new residents moving in to this area. It also depends on whether something "cool" takes on the name. NOPA (north of the panhandle)for example- a great restaurant and neighborhood wouldn't be as sticky if the restaurant was terrible just like TriBeCa (triangle below canal st) now the name of Robert Deniro's movie company wouldn't have stuck without the adoption of those residents as well.

The beauty of SF I believe is the constant change and movement of its residents and the new trends those residents bring with them.
Heather Stol…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri May 31, 2013
SEMA? That sounds like a bad case of a disease posted by the CDC. I'm a 3rd generation native and if SEMA is what people decide to rename what has been called Media Gulch for YEARS I might just have to throw my hands up and leave this town.