Is Roxbury a bad neighborhood? I will be attending Harvard Medical School next fall and my husband and I are

Asked by Gio, 33177 Fri Jan 4, 2008

looking for a nice, safe neighborhood close to the school. Our budget is $400K. Thanks!

Answers

16
Melvin A Vie…, Agent, Boston, MA
Fri Feb 15, 2008
Hi Gio
I want to let you know you must look at every option. Everybody will tell you what you want to hear. My suggestion is find a Real Estate professional you feel comfortable with then work with them. None of these people are going to tell you that the South End, Mission Hill, and Fort hill was once called "Roxbury". Only a local can tell about the history of Boston. I am here to help if you have any questions
Melvin A Vieira
617-283-6003
Ken, Home Buyer, Boston, MA
Thu Feb 7, 2008
Having lived in Boston for more than a decade, the short answer is yes. But in every neighborhood in Boston, there are good areas, and then some areas that would not be considered as safe or nice. The South End is an extremely desireable neighborhood, and it's right next to Roxbury.

Now, if you mean West Roxbury, that's is a very nice community. Trying to be hear HMS, you could look at Boston's West end, Brighton, and Watertown and I think you can find small condos in your price range.

Lucy L., Both Buyer And Seller, Massachusetts
Sun Jan 6, 2008
Brighton and South Boston are both great places. Hope this helps. Wait...are you asking about Roxbury or West Roxbury? They are two totally different places. West Roxbury is very nice.
Anthonygbroo…, Home Buyer, Marblehead, MA
Thu Mar 23, 2017
You should consider East Somerville, a vibrant, working class neighborhood that is changing in interesting ways. Easy access to down-town Boston (and HMS) via subway (Orange Line) and busses.
Nick Gandhi, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Dec 26, 2012
Please check crime statistics at the local police.

Nick
Rob02601, , Chapel Hill, NC
Sat Jul 17, 2010
Roxbury is really bad. Alot of the local African Americans are moving out because many new immigrants from Haiti are causing alot of crime. I see drug deals on the street all the time, very dangerous. WORSE AREA OF BOSTON (with parts of Dorchester a close second).
greg, , Boston, MA
Thu Mar 18, 2010
I shudder every time I see this question and even more when I see Real Estate professionals respond to it... First of all good or bad are relative terms. Secondly, the beauty of city living in most communities is that values and desirability vary almost from street to street. That being said, there are sections or streets in Roxbury that are highly desirable and some which are less sought after. My advice--see for yourself first hand... I have seen some exceptional properties and locations in Roxbury in the 400k range.
Tiedye, , West Roxbury, Boston, MA
Sat Nov 21, 2009
Roxbury has sections that aren't great but it shouldn't be confused with West Roxbury which is a very nice and different neighborhood than Roxbury. West Roxbury really isn't adjacent to Roxbury. It's actually more like South West than west of Roxbury. Four 400k you should be able to negotiate a nice medium-large sized single family home on a quiet side street in the West Roxbury area. And having lived in many of Boston's neighborhoods including Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, and Roxbury......West Roxbury is extremely safe.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Mar 11, 2008
There are some great spots in Brookline that can be had in this price range. In particular Brookine Village. Territory has placed a couple of Harvard Med students in the area and they have been very happy.
Irena, , Newton, MA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
http://zipskinny.com/state.php?state=MA could help you with some unbiased information.
Walk / drive arround, read local police reports,read local paper, google etc.
Best of luck
Randall, , South End, Hartford, CT
Fri Feb 8, 2008
There are much better choices available to you. The crime is off the charts. Its in decline because they do not report any.
You are better off commuting in from another neighborhood.
You may want to check out http://www.Ucanlist.com
They will give you a 50% rebate on the commission.
$400K you would get back $5,000 in cash.
Web Reference:  http://www.Ucanlist.com
Burton Ford, , Boston, MA
Thu Feb 7, 2008
Roxbury's reputation is way worse than it actually is. The immediate area around Harvard Medical is Mission Hill which is adjacent to Roxbury, and is called Roxbury Crossing on all postage. The most trouble you'll run into in Mission Hill is the occasional Drunk college kid or loud stereo. As Far as Roxbury goes, it's actually slowly beginning to gentrify. Starting in mission hill and heading over to fort hill you can find beautiful architecture, and good selection within your budget. Roxbury has it's ugly points, but most of the heavy grime and crime in boston happens in Mattapan Dorchester and the further out parts of Roxbury. (however despite some brief spikes crime is on the decline in Boston since the 90's)
Robert Fox, , Watertown, MA
Wed Jan 16, 2008
Brand new Condominiums in the Fenway in that price range

http://www.audubonparksales.com

http://www.park461.com
Jonathan Bow…, Agent, Stoughton, MA
Mon Jan 7, 2008
Hi Gio, I think you should take a look at Jamaica Plain or the Allston/Brighton areas. Brookline might be just a bit above your price range although you could find something if you sacrifice a few amenities. I have a lot of friends that work in the hospitals and know the surrounding neighborhoods well. Good luck, Jon
Web Reference:  http://www.bowenboston.com
Andrew Adams, , 01915
Sun Jan 6, 2008
Every area has good and bad. With your budget I think you will find that there are better areas that are just as convenient. Downtown Boston is a niche market and you will be much better of dealing with a broker based in Boston. Listings don't always show up in MLS in the down town area.
Veronique Me…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sat Jan 5, 2008
Congratulations on attending Harvard Medical School and welcome to Boston!
With a budget of $400K you should be able to find something nice in the area, even in the Fine Arts Museum area, The Fenway.
As far as "safe", the best is to check the local police department of whichever area you will consider. You can even do this on line.
I will be happy to help as far as finding a great home!
Veronique
617-477-5079