Is North Baldwin & Baldwin in general on a downswing? Is it a good place to buy for a single woman in her 40's? Seems like the town needs

Asked by Plainjane, 11510 Sun May 22, 2011

sprucing up?

Answers

9
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun May 22, 2011
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, consider additional research of your own--revisit the area more than once and at different times of day. Keep in mind that a good place to buy/live, should be based and defined by your wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; does the area suit your needs...
Bisendra Mel…, Agent, Richmond Hill, NY
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Wow! Now here is the question on everyone's mind in the Town. I should know- I not only live here, I recently moved here! With young children in the school system.
I have all the answers to your "questions", from not only the residents point of view...

718-909-0233 Call Me and lets have some coffee!
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Thu May 31, 2012
Hopefully Pat M, with that kind of advice from a current resident, hopefully you won't ever have a need to sell your home,
Denise, Home Buyer, Brooklyn, NY
Sun Jul 20, 2014
I'm interested in buying a home there my question is how was it there during the and snow storms ?
Hezrell Vasq…, Agent, Massapequa, NY
Wed Apr 30, 2014
Good afternoon Plainjane,

Baldwin is an area that a lot of my customers would love to find a home. I hope you found a home in the area of interest and got a better understanding of Baldwin.
Trevor Curran, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Great Neck, NY
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Good afternoon Plainjane,

I don't know if you're still shopping for a home in Baldwin as your question is rather old, but I'll take a shot and toss in my two cents.

I have long considered Baldwin to be an excellent place for my First Time Buyer clients to buy a home. Location and acess to all amenities---highways, shopping, restaurants, recreation---is exceptional. This is town that's close to everything. There is a nice variety of property types. Prices in this town have always been excellent and affordable for HomeBuyers.

I don't believe in buying a home as an "investment" similar to buying stocks, bonds, classic cars or baseball cards. I believe in the intangible benefits of homeownership; the fact that you "own a piece of the rock," derive a tax benefit from a mortgage, and live in a nice town with affordable prices and easy access to everything else: those are the intangibles and those are what make Baldwin a great place to buy a first home.

Trevor Curran
Pat M, , Baldwin, NY
Sun May 27, 2012
Do not buy in Baldwin! My husband and I bought our home in 94 and the town has gone down tremendously. There are NO stores other than food, gas, and about 4 CVS,s. If you want to shop in a dollar store, there are plenty... It is the only type of business that stays open, MANY empty shops with "FOR RENT" signs. Take a ride around and you will see for yourself. Keep on hearing they are going to " beautify" but we are still waiting. Good luck to you.
Thanks Pat for your honesty. I've heard the same things that downtown is supposed to be renovated but it seems on the back burner. I had taken my trips into Baldwin and looked around at different times and saw the same thing (dollar stores, cash checking places, wig shops and CVS). I would have to travel to other towns to get the shops I would use. I had decided not to buy in Baldwin back in June 2011 and its about 1 year later and not much has changed. It's a shame! I hope things turn around for you. Best of luck to you too!
Flag Sun Jun 3, 2012
Plainjane, Home Buyer, 11510
Mon May 23, 2011
Thank you for your answers. I have gone there at different times and numerous times. There are things I like about it and things I don't. You do get a lot more house for the money, then in RVC. But it seems like the housing prices have not kept their value during this recession, whereas neighboring RVC have. Any reasons as to why?

I do have a friend who lives in the area and his house is worth $100K less than what he purchased it for. I would be concerned about purchasing a depreciating asset.

Also, is there anyway to tell if ppl rent out to Sec8. That would definitely bring down property values in my opinion. I have tried looking on the towns website, but can't find any info on this.
Legally, a landlord is prohibited from denying a person based on where their income is coming from, including Section 8 money.
Flag Wed Oct 26, 2016
sec 8 is ALL over! (Less in some areas than others)
Flag Thu Jun 14, 2012
Lillian Tram…, Agent, Lynbrook, NY
Sun May 22, 2011
Honestly, to each his own. What you consider a downswing is not the same to someone else. Baldwin is a wonderful town with lots of advantages, close to transportation, parkways, parks, etc. I have lots of friends that live in Baldwin and have sold properties in Baldwin. I would be glad to assist you should you want to come out and take a look.

It probably is a good idea for you to take a drive around through, in and out, the community, town, and visit the shopping areas, parks, etc. Then you can get an overall feel and determine if it is or is not the Town for you.

Thanks and feel free to contact me at any time,

Lillian Tramantano, GRI
Associate Broker
516-678-6648
ltramantano@coachrealtors.com