Maurice Bant…, Real Estate Pro in Bronxville, NY

Is New Rochelle the Best City in Westchester to Live?

Asked by Maurice Banton, Bronxville, NY Sat Jan 5, 2013

Answers

10
Rabinovitch, I do sympothize with you. Taxes have gone up just about everywhere in Westchester County as a whole, and it does seem prohibitive to buy in some areas these days. What many folks are doing is trying to get their taxes greived. The problem with this, though, just because your taxes go up and seem too high, doesn't mean they can be grieved. You should go to a professional who will look at the numbers first and determine if you are able to grieve or not. That may help. Also, what may ease your burden is to refinance if you are able to. If you have a very high interest rate, by refinancing at a lower rate, you would have lower payments. You would keep a bit more money in your pocket on that end. It wouldn't change your taxes, but it would ease your financial burden a bit. Monique Brunson
Monique, thanks a lot. Actually, we are doing both. A law firm has been retained on a results-based fee and twe requested two (serious) Banks to send refinancing options, which we are looking at. Overall, what the real estate sector doing about City Hall apparent profits from the 2008 financial crisis? Before the crisis, housing prices skyrocketed and taxes followed. After the crisis, housing prices plumetted but taxes remained at the same level. Isn't this unfair to home buyers ?
Flag Fri Apr 12, 2013
I am not a realtor and I have no vested interests. As a resident I have no complaints about the city itself, but I am very unhappy about property taxes. They have increased more than 100% in the past few years without any comparable advantages given to residents. My mortgage payments have been increasing every year due to property tax increases even though I have a fixed-interest mortgage, while the overall value of the property decreased significantly after the 2008 financial crisis.
I moved to New Rochelle from North Carolina and I have been here going on 5 years. I've visited and entertained looking at other areas in Westchester County to live in and New Rochelle is the best!! They have awesome school districts great diversity across the board and beautiful neighborhoods to live in. You don't have to worry about the area going down and not being able to sell if your purchase a home and later decide to move. It can be expensive in some areas, but its worth being here. There are only 2 areas in New Rochelle that aren't the greatest, but its nothing compared to some of worst areas in other towns within Westchester County.
I am a Realtor and I have lived in New Rochelle for the past 22 years. I love this city! I will be happy to take you on a tour to see the wonderful highlights of the "Queen City on the Sound". Once you have toured the city and it's distinct neighborhoods, you will be able to decide whether New Rochelle meets your family's needs. I will be happy to show you other areas in Westchester County too. Buying a home is the biggest investment you will make. Having the information you need to make a well informed decision is crucial. Please call me to arrange a personal tour at 914-772-7034. Now is a great time to buy, interests rates are low and property values are very affordable. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Melanie Williams, CBR, SFR, SRES
Maurice, it looks like you are a local realtor.. I am confused why you would ask a question like this when the answer is so subjective.
Hi Mr. Banton, hope all is well. What matters most is which city is best FOR YOU! As some of the agents have stated, you have to determine what would make a location best based on how it fits your needs. As I tell all my clients make a list of the things that are most important to you aka deal breakers. What are things that you must have to consider a property? Easy commute to work? Lots of recreation, restaurants, etc. ? Large properties? Schools? Places of worship? Easy parking? Affordability? Style? Pet friendly? Purchasing is a big step but it's the little things that count which are sometimes forgotten about. Make your list and then feel free to contact me with any questions to help you find a property in a location that is best FOR YOU!

E Patrice Hayes, Associate Broker
Licensed in NY, CT and GA

Keller Williams Realty Group
914-902-3220
epatrice@epatricehayes.com
http://www.MultiStateRealEstateBroker.com
Every persons opinion of what is best will differ based on their individual opinion. NY State License laws like to have us let the customer/client decide that for themselves.

Chris
Hi Maurice- What a loaded question! There are so many factors that go into choosing a city/town/village in which to live, that one must look into all of those equations prior to making a decision. Are you looking for close proximity to the city for example, do you want to be near the water?, homes with nicely sized properties, Tudors, Split level homes, History, boating, golf, are you seeking an Arts Program for your children, exemplary sports programs, and awarrd winning schools, a dog park, public parks? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then definitely consider New Rochelle.

We always say as Realtors, it is location, location, location. So, first choose your location, look into the program that the schools offer, and then find your dream home! I havel ived in New Rochelle for over 33 years, and Yes, it is a great place in which to live!
Hi Maurice: New Rochelle is an excellent city in Westchester County. But it really depends on what you are looking for. More important is where do you feel "at home"? Which school district do you like? Which towns have the best commutes to your work? Which towns offer the best housing for the price in your price range? I can help you figure it all out. We specialize in Westchester County. I look forward to speaking with you about it further. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com. 914-273-9688.

We're looking for more agents & offer commission splits up to 80% with no fees.

If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits.
It depends on what you are looking for. A quick commute to NYC-it has it. A vibrant Jewish community-it has it.