Is Hamilton Park area safe?

Asked by Doiri, Hamilton Park, Jersey City, NJ Wed Dec 9, 2009

Is Hamilton Park area safe? Specifically the walk from Newport path station to Hamilton park? I'm considering to by an apt in that area and safetyis a big concern for me. Also, I do I research for a market value for a new development property?

Answers

5
Ava Thorin, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Tue Jun 15, 2010
Hi Diori,
I've lived in the Hamilton Park area since the 60s. I've seen lots of changes in the community and experienced lots area "ups and downs." With all that, I can say without reservation that today, Hamilton Park is one of the safest areas in Jersey City. I am a woman and I love to walk. One of my most frequent walks is from the Newport PATH. I've had one "creepy" experience, but with the police station on 7th and Erie (and some of the nicest police officers in town), the problem was quickly addressed.

Good luck with your search. Please let me know if I can be of help.

Ava C. Thorin
Sales Representative
Weichert, Realtors
273 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Office: 201-333-4443
athorin@weichert.com
Raquel Shar…, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Thu Jan 14, 2010
Safe is a question that can only be answered by the person who would be living the area. You can check with the local police department, http://www.njjcpd.org/ , to find out about statistics. Crime is everywhere so you should always take proper precautions regardless on where you live.

The best way to find out if it’s safe is to STALK your new neighborhood. Drive through or by homes you would be interested in. Not once but several time, like AM, PM, weekends, good weather and etc. Try your commute to work from the area. All of this will let you know if you think your possible new home would be safe.

Best of luck to you on you search!

Let me get you what you want! Wouldn't that be nice?

I can help YOU! It would be my pleasure to help you.

Raquel Sharper
Real Estate Consultant
Liberty Realty LLC
525 Washington St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-222-2811 Fax
rsharper@libertyrealestate.com
David Leonard, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Thu Dec 10, 2009
Hi Doiri,
I bought a multi-family in the Heights a while back and had the same question. Safe being pretty subjective, and statistics not telling the whole story, I went to the local precinct for the Heights and asked the desk sergeant. I asked if he lived where I was thinking of buying would he do bars on the windows or an alarm, where were the areas of most activity in the Heights, would he walk the streets late at night. Then I went back later and asked the same questions of a different desk sergeant. The closest precinct to Hamilton Park is at 207 7th St. I did a lot of open houses a few doors down from that precinct house and I have to say it did not seem to be very busy. A few poor souls who looked sorry for what they must have done at the mall was all I saw. Another tip: go hang out in the area at night – how does it feel? In my neighborhood I noted that the parents let their children play outside until 9pm – a good sign. Also, and everyone on here will tell you this: a) find a realtor you like and trust and work with them – they will make your search waaaaay more effective, and b) consider me! Here’s a link to some interesting reading: http://www.davidleonard.biz/pdf-docs/INTERESTINGREADING.doc
Best of luck to you!
David Leonard
Real Estate Specialist
Weichert Realtors
273 Grove St.
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 333-4443 (office)
(718) 915-2855 (cell)
DAVIDLEONARD@ME.COM
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Wed Dec 9, 2009
Hi Doiri,

Well ... yes you may wish to check with the police, etc.

BUT ... since I'm not an agent I can tell you from my experience that that area is considered a very nice and safe place to live. Jersey City and Hoboken have both long-since been transformed into very desirable areas.

One observation is that you may wish to keep your car in a secured lot or garage though. The safety that you will likely enjoy will not be shared in equal doses by your vehicle. If you don't need very regular use of your car, then there are good deals on lots etc - a bit further from the Path stations. The closer to the Path you are, the higher the monthly parking will run.

Walter Burns, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Wed Dec 9, 2009
Doiri,

The best resource for the safety in the Hamilton park area is going to be through the Jersey City Police Department. There is a police station not for from Hamilton Park on Erie St. They will be able to provide you with crime information for that area.

http://www.njjcpd.org/

Regarding market research for a new development, feel free to email me and I can provide you with recent sales or similar comps based upon the property you are considering buying.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
1 Newark St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
347-4-HUDSON Direct
347-448-3766 Direct
201-694-8946 Mobile
201-653-4154 Fax
walterburns@gmail.com
http://www.livingonthehudson.com