Is Delaware the best retirement destination in the US?

Asked by TheOldfatherGroup, Rehoboth Beach, DE Sun Dec 30, 2012

What is the most important decision making factor for buying a retirement home?

Answers

5
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Jul 11, 2013
Yep, Delaware was the very first location that popped into my mind....Delaware. Followed by North Dakota, then Idaho, then Wyoming.
-
I will say Bethany Beach is one of this country's 'Best Kept Secrets.'
-
Gennerally speaking, if you stay close to the extened family, it keeps you young, engaged, relevant, active, mobile and happy.
-
If choosing to migrate to warmer climes, isolation and lonliness can, not always, produce a unhappy, grouchy, unpleasant, paranoid, anxiety ridden existance. We are all wired differently. Knowing where ones fullfillment is derived is essential in making the long term retirement decison.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Jul 11, 2013
The perfect location for any reason is one that is defined differently by different individuals....generalizations such as this can be misleading and confusing.

Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Wed Jul 10, 2013
different strokes for diff............ staying close to family and friends is most important.
Jeff Hoover, Agent, Kannapolis, NC
Wed Jul 10, 2013
I would say yes Delaware is a perfect location. The cost of living is very low. Delaware offers very low property taxes, no sales tax, and a very large exemption on your pension, IRA, or 401K annual distributions. Delaware enjoys a 4 season climate, however the winters are mild with little snow or long term bitter cold spells. The summers are somewhat moderated by the water surrounding Delaware on 2 sides. As far as home prices go, the extreme north and beach areas are the most expensive, and the middle of the state is around to below the national home price average. Delaware also offers a number of active adult communities (over 55). Also Delaware is only about 2 hours away from most of the major cities in the northeast including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York with the best access coming via Amtrak and the Northeast Corridor high speed trains.

Hope this helps, if you want more information or particulars, please contact me. I am a experienced Realtor covering all of Delaware.
Michael Cheng, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Dec 30, 2012
No. It doesn't offer the right combination of a low cost of living and a warm climate.
Web Reference:  http://www.archershomes.com
Well, nopt everyone wants a 365/warm climate. DUH
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013