Is Beaverton a good place to buy?

Asked by Jenn, Portland, OR Wed Mar 4, 2009

I am looking to buy a single family home in the Beaverton area, but I'm concerned about how it will hold its value. Is Beaverton a good place to invest or is the traffic and lack of "hip" atmosphere scare people away? I am not looking to buy and sell quickly, I'd just like an idea of what I'm getting into. Thanks!

Answers

9
Stan Houseman, , Portland, OR
Sat Mar 7, 2009
CNN Money thinks so!

100 best places to live and launch
6 of 100
6. Portland, Ore.

Population: 535,421
Pros: A thriving urban scene, abundant outdoor recreations
Con: High living costs
Young, educated and creative. That's the kind of workforce on offer in Portland, thanks in part to the presence of companies such as Nike and Intel, which has seven campuses in Oregon, most of them within 20 miles of Portland.

But even independently of these corporations, the city harbors a strong design and high tech industry. Environmentally minded companies will be at home in the area: Portland was ranked the most sustainable city in the U.S. in 2006 by SustainLane, a green-living research and publishing group. While Portland's business tax structure is not the friendliest - Multnomah County imposes a business income tax - the city boasts a thriving entrepreneurial and venture capitalist community, with 2,571 start-ups (almost 5 per 1,000 local residents) registered in 2007.

A mature city, Portland offers a downtown of historic neighborhoods and a vibrant restaurant community, as well as arts centers, a symphony and an opera. -Malika Zouhali-Worrall

But, it seems if you are looking to buy and sell quickly, are you working with a Realtor to help you do this with?
Janeese Jack…, Agent, Portland, OR
Thu Mar 5, 2009
Jenn,
lots of good information here. There really are no right or wrong answers about where to purchase real estate. It has to feel like home to YOU! Your new home has to meet your requirements for lifestyle, proximity (to work, play, whatever is important to YOU). I would suggest reflecting and writing down those critical elements. There are subtle differences between all areas of Portland, as well as the 'burbs surrounding P-town. Once you identify your list of core values as they pertain to home & family, a savvy real estate professional can help you with your search. Feel free to use my excellent property search site at http://www.fabulousportland.com
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
jj@janeesejackson.com
Sarita Dua, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Hi Jenn,
I know I am jumping in late, but I would say the answer to the question is that it depends. I know that sounds trite, but the key is knowing and identifying your key criteria - whether it is crime, the arts, parks/recreation, schools, traffic/commute time, proximity to downtown, available public transportation, walkability, lot size, age of homes, etc.

One thing I love about Portland is that our greater metro area is literally within a 10 mile radius of downtown. I am from Michigan and have spent time in the Bay Area and Boston. Those area, and many other cities, have a 40-50 mile radius for their metro area.

So with that, I think there are many parts of Portland Metro (which includes Beaverton and Hillsboro) that are accessible, offer value, and are great places to live.

I often suggest to clients is determine a price range that works for you (relative to the cost of your housing today vs. what a lender says you can spend as a max). Then let's look at what that price range gets you in several areas. Features, Price, Location - I can guarantee 2 out of 3 of those! And we tweak those parameters as there are always tradeoffs.

This is a general guideline, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss specifics with you if you are interested in working together. Just give me a shout. Hope this helps...

Sarita Dua
503-522-0090 cell
http://www.asksarita.com
Web Reference:  http://www.asksarita.com
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Jenn the question is do you have kids and are you looking for special schools, transportation to work? Beaverton has some schools the Portland schools could only wish for. Check some address at http://www.walkscore.com . buyers buy for many different reasons. Nike and Intel are two large employers with Nike in Beaverton and Intel just over the line in Hillsboro. North Portland has Adidas and both areas have light rail. Values are holding better in north Portland than in Beaverton but if you want to buy a 1920-1940 traditional you will be hard pressed to find it in just a very little corner of Beaverton compared to all of north Portland. Send me some price ranges and I can compare what you are looking for. You can find just about what you want in all areas and still live close to work and most areas have small areas that are doing great the closer in to Portland and more affordable but not much competition with new homes so prices have held where Beaverton, Hillsboro has had much more building around it in the last 10 years so the prices are much softer.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
ABR,CRS, EA STAR eco broker
503-319-9035
RE/MAX Equity Group Inc
Web Reference: http://www.equitygroup.com/tinglesby
June Lizotte,…, , Portland, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Jenn,
One correction to a typo I just made.....I quote:" It's tough when a buyer asks the question you have; we as professionals want to help you find your dream home but we can direct you " I MEANT TO SAY " WE CAN NOT DIRECT YOU..."

You probably figured that out but I wanted to clarify.

June Lizotte, Real Estate Broker
Prudential NW Properties
6400 SE Lake Rd., Suite 200
Portland, OR 97222
503-310-8032
jlizotte@prunw.com
Web Reference:  http://www.junelizotte.com
June Lizotte,…, , Portland, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Hello Jenn,

Beaverton, as with all towns has areas that appeal to some and not to others. There are some concerns with asking a Real Estate Professional if a particular place is "a good place" to buy. There is a rule we have to adhere to (upon risk of losing our license) and that is a very clearly defined restriction against steering anyone (with our opinions) about where a buyer should buy or search for a home. It's tough when a buyer asks the question you have; we as professionals want to help you find your dream home but we can direct you to one area over another. For instance, if we tell you " stay away from this area" or that area is just where you need to be" or "you should stay clear of such and such area" we are breaking real estate law. The best way to help you is to provide you with resources that can help you find answers to the questions that concern buyers the most so they can choose where they want to be based on the results of their research. I provide a buyers resource list (and you can find a lot of the information on my web site too) which give you direct links to sites where you can check crime stats, demographics, topography, business/community development plans, school 'report cards', location of sex offenders, environmental resources, zoning etc. For a Realtor to assume they know where is the best for a buyer to purchase is an assumption we are not allowed to make by law.

In Oregon it is the Buyer's responsibility for all due diligence concerning any property of interest. Many (I would venture to say MOST buyers don't know that the Real Estate Professionals are bound by law not to promote one area over another to a buyer.

Having said all of that I wanted to offer you the opportunity to tap into the resources available to you via my web site or by simply emailing to ask for the Buyer Investigation Helps that I provide. You can email through my web site. I also have a way for you to have your own private login where you can save your specific search criteria, save favorites (properties) and return again and again through you private access without the hassle of having to re-establish the parameters of your search. In addition I have a Home Finder Feature where you can receive the latest listed properties matching your specific criteria as well as Market Data Reports of specific neighborhoods you might be interested in. Those reports will show you all the sales activity including active dates, pending and closed sale dates as well market history for the given area.

As you search for a home you need to use the best tools available and these are some of the exclusive toos available through my web site and services I provide. If you have questions please feel free to contact me.

June Lizotte, Real Estate Broker
Prudential NW Properties
6400 SE Lake Rd., Suite 200
Portland, OR 97222
503-310-8032
jlizotte@prunw.com
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Low Crime. Not Portland City Limits.
Great Schools? No. Portland at up to 50% drop out rate.
Property Taxes? Portland and Multnomah County at $18 to $25 dollars per $1000 in value per year.
Hip=Portland
But you can drive or take light rail to Portland anytime.
There are better areas. When we say "Portland" it really can apply to much of the Tri-County area.

I have my favorites and I like Portland too. Don't get me wrong. But it...the city... is somewhere down my list and I lived there for quite a while. They also have a fairly high business tax that is scaring jobs out. That can and will play a role in the future of the City.

Feel free to email me at dirkknudsen@gmail.com and I can respond or just shoot me a call on the cell.

Thanks Jenn. Happy Hunting!

Dirk

This is a cool and nice area:
http://www.theknudsens.com/mapping/portland/&kwords=&…
Web Reference:  http://www.theknudsens.com
Jenn, Home Buyer, Portland, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Dirk. What would you say is the best place to buy in the Portland area? Im also looking in the North Portland area as well, but I'm unsure as to what areas are up and coming. Thanks!
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Well it is a nice westside location. Your right traffic and all of that scare people away some. The question is if there are better areas, and I believe there are, why wouldn't you look there too? Is it a good area? yes. Is it a good place to invest? Sure it is. The schools are excellent. Look around though because there is a lot to choose from right now and Beaverton has good and bad locations.

Start here and surf around. This is the best way in the world to look from space.

http://www.theknudsens.com/mapping/portland/area/washington_…

Jenn let me know if you want my perspectives. After 24 years here at the top of the sales game I think I have a pretty good handle on things.

All my best!

Dirk Knudsen
Re/Max Metro Gold
Re/Max Hall of Fame