Interested in Portland Neighborhoods. Want nice home under $350K. Walk to shops and restaurants. We are retired, have a big dog.

Asked by Lakeviewanita, Portland, OR Wed Sep 11, 2013

Not interested in transitional areas. Moving from a 3800 sq.ft. newer home. Which areas should we look?

Answers

6
Kevin Levy, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Nice to meet you Anita,
Portland has so many lovely areas to choose from. Though most of the inner SE/NE neighborhood homes are starting around $350,000, you can still find great deals.
Sellwood seems it could be a great possibility: http://relocationtoportland.com/2009/01/22/people-love-sellwood/
Abernethy is also quite lovely http://relocationtoportland.com/2009/04/17/hosford-abernathy…
You might also love Roseway, Irvington, Belmont and Woodstock. You can easily walk to shops and restaurants from any of these areas. I'm an Inner SE/NE specialist and ready to help whenever you are ready to move forward.
Please feel free to give a call or email anytime, I'm happy to help.
Kevin Levy
M Realty
503-267-7535
kevin@m-homes.net
Linda Heinri…, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Where are you moving from? It is always a challenge when we have folks relocating from other parts of the country that offer more home for the money. While we are the least expensive major metropolitan area on the West Coast, the reality is the West Coast is pretty expensive.

That said there are some great neighborhoods in the suburbs that will afford you to have the walkability you desire and more home than you will find in the core close-in Portland neighborhoods.

It is all doable, but a matter of lining up your expectations for house and neighborhood in your price range. When do you anticipate being in the area? Have you already sold your home out of state? If you are interested in having a conversation, I am happy to help.
Adriana Focke, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Sep 18, 2013
My suggestion would be SW Portland, either Hillsdale or Multnomah village neighborhoods. SW Portland is more affordable right now, so you can find larger homes for that price range. Otherwise you will be looking at homes under 2000 sq ft. I lived in Hillsdale for 7 years before moving to Multnomah Village, so I know the areas quite well. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact me, and good luck!
Misty Fisher, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Would you consider the outlying areas? There are some areas near Portland with cute "downtowns" where you could get a larger, nicer home in your price range. What immediately comes to mind is Multnomah Village (Technically SW Portland near Multnomah Blvd) or the Willamette area in West Linn. Also Gresham has a cute revitalized downtown with a farmers market and coffee shops, restaurants and other shops.

In Gresham I would narrow in on the area between Division (North) and Powell (South) with Birdsdale in the East and Main St in the West. This is a nice older neighborhood with large yards and well kept houses, with easy access to walk your dog to the park or downtown.

I am familiar with all of the Portland neighborhoods and the surrounding suburbs. I would love to discuss the possibilities. Please give me a call at 503-544-4894. Misty
Misty Fisher, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Would you consider the outlying communities? There are some areas with cute "downtowns" full of restaurants and shops that are close enough to Portland to enjoy the events offered in the city. In your price range you will get a much nicer, bigger house if you look outside of the walkable close-in Portland neighborhoods. What comes to mind is Multnomah Village (technically Southwest Portland near Multnomah Blvd) or the Willamette area in West Linn. Also, Gresham has a revitalized historic downtown with a farmers market and cute coffee shops, restaurants and other shops. In Gresham I would narrow in on the area between Division and Powell bordered by Birdsdale to the west and Main Street to the east. This is an old nice neighborhood with large yards and well kept houses close enough to walk your dog to the park or through downtown.

I am familiar with all of the Portland neighborhoods and the surrounding suburbs. I would love to discuss the possibilities with you. Please give me a call at 503-544-4894. Misty
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Sep 11, 2013
Irvington, Alameda, Hawthorne, Belmont, Lloyd, you can get a 2 bedroom maybe fixed up some most of the homes that have 3 bedrooms and 1 bath are closer to $400,000. Send me an email and I can show you what is out there. These are the hottest areas in Portland and they have been moving up 12-15% for 1 1/2 years because of walk score to shopping and close in areas. Good Luck, Tom Inglesby, RE/MAX