Inspection Results with rotted flooring. I'm not sure if it's safe that he makes those repairs. I do plan on rehiring the inspector.

Asked by sin_d_77, Parker, WA Tue Feb 11, 2014

I have made an offer on a home built by seller in 2009; USDA for $98k. The inspection results water damage from the main shower/bath which was built with ceramic floor tiles. The water has rotted that floor. Other minor details were found. I requested that he hire a profession for that bathroom/flooring repairs. The seller is willing to make all the repairs himself including the bathroom/flooring. What are your recommendations?

Answers

3
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Feb 12, 2014
Do not permit the Seller to make the repairs themselves. The repairs must be done by a fully licensed contractor who should give at least a 1 year warranty and stand behind their work. The house is only 5 years old and already has had a significant problem which calls into question the Sellers contracting abilities. regardless of what they may think of their abilities. Under no circumstances should you allow them to do any repair work.
Toni Sadiq-L…, Agent, Sewell, NJ
Wed Feb 12, 2014
Typically if your lender is requesting the repairs in order to fund the loan, they will want a licensed contractor to complete the work. Look to a reputable company that's been around for a while. Congratulations on your home purchase. At that price, it sounds like you got a great deal!
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Feb 11, 2014
Sin_d,
The official and formal answer is to require the work be done by a licensed contractor who will stand behind their work. Now, the other answer is that I've seen licensed contractors who went out of business, did poor work and disappear. I've seen homeowners work that meant well but was poor and some who put the best contractor to shame.
Rot in a bathroom is a very common issue. Had the problem been discovered by the seller before your offer they would may have fixed it and you'd never know about it. I guess I would want to know the skill set of the owner, the materials and process they intended to use and if you can make the work subject to re-inspection to your satisfaction.
I can't tell you what to do, but I'd have your agent and inspector review the options and any other work the homeowner may have done themselves and decide based on what you see and how comfortable you are with the risk.