Inspect Condo Sewer?

Asked by Eric, Wed Sep 25, 2013

Do you recommend getting a sewer scope inspection for a condo?

Answers

3
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Sep 25, 2013
Is this a townhouse, where the sewer serves just one or two units? Or, are there many units? Is there a Home Owners Association? If this is a typical condo, with multiple units, and a viable HOA, then I wouldn't bother myself with inspecting the sewer line. It's probably more important to verify a healthy reserve account, and review the previous 12 months of Board meeting minutes for clues about any pending repairs, or future assessments.
It is a condo, with about 34 units in the building. It was explained to me that I would be responsible for my pipes, basically from my toilet to where it mets with my neighbors pipe. The building was built in the late 60's, so a sewer scope was recommenced. There is HOA. I will review the reserves, and the last 12 to 24 months worth of minutes. Thanks for the help.
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Sep 25, 2013
Hi Eric,
I don't as a rule recommend it, but if the complex was old or had issues it may be worth considering. Any issues you uncovered would likely be part of the HOA responsibility, but since you are going to be a percentage of the HOA it is worth knowing all you can. Investigating the financials, rules and the overall condition of the complex is very important with Condos. If they are poorly run, you may find yourself facing a huge special assessment for deferred maintenance.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Thu Sep 26, 2013
Eric, your answer to Ray's answer doesn't really answer the question. The place where it connects to your neighbor's pipes in some buildings might be only three feet away, and all inside the common wall of a building, or it might be 100 feet away after travelling through a lot of dirt. If the latter than your risk might be similar to that of buying a house, where getting a sewer scope is generally prudent.

As others have mentioned, if the building itself has problems with it's main sewer line out, then that is an association issue, which has implications others have mentioned adequately. Note though that even with reserves, it would still be better if the association didn't have a $10,000-20,000 maintenance issue pop up. Not many buyers would check for such conditions, however.