In your opinion, is the revitalization of Ocean View going to continue or is it a bad investment?

Asked by Smitty, Atlanta, GA Sat Oct 27, 2007

I currently live out of state, but am considering retiring in the Va Beach area to be near family who live at North End. I wouldn't mind buying in the Ocean View area as it moves toward revitalization, but have some concerns as I see more and more properties up for resale. (Can't afford North End prices!) Are current residents tired of the promises for safety and upgrades that are not happening? Does anyone know the 'real' story? Is movement still being made to improve the area, or was this a dream that just couldn't change the surrounding crime / poverty?

Answers

5
Capt.carl, , Norfolk, VA
Mon Oct 29, 2007
Ahoy Neighbors,
Smitty, East Oceanview, now east beach, was/is being developed too fast for the market - before you think of purchasing a house in EB, ask and demand the home inspection report from the city of norfolk. Many homes were thrown together and after the purchase these new home owners were slapped with a list of discrepancies; indoor lumber used to build exterior spaces, gutters that drain into the foyer, wimdow installed backwards, and the list continues, personaly, after living in Norfolk for 32 years I recommend beach minded folks to buy and invest in willoughby spit -, a tight neighborhood' firm real estate values ' and access to anywhere via the interstate that borders all of willoughby spit, http://www.thespit.com
another situation with EB, many properties were taken by the city as eminent domain in exisitng high occupancy unit area, and without thinking, developers built grand mansions within these high occupancy strips - so many are co-mingling with transient renters and, adding salt to the wound is the number of tenents living is the same space, too many for the space, so during the day the tenants just hang around on the streets, really looks bad, so there you are with a beautiful front porch that you can't use because of the view. and besides, what good safe community demands survilence cameras be installed to monitor the surrounding residents? - don't get me wrong,
This a great area to live - so much history - water recreation and great folks, just choose wisely, now if i was an empty nester and i no longer had children in school and commuting wasn't a nessesity, I plan on
living in historic phoebus (in Hampton,) on a house boat docked at the Fort Monroe Marina http://www.fortmonroe.gov, civilians are allowed total access to this historic fortress across the bay from norfolk.
or actually buy a waterfront space in phoebus. a charming quaint fishing village that abutts FT.Monroe. water is everywhere - the fishing is great and I can get to the north end of Va.Bch (the way I drive) is under 30 minutes. capt.carl@yahoo.com 10-29-07 -
Alice Sheldon, , 23518
Mon Oct 29, 2007
I think ocean view is going to continue to grow, the city is trying to clean up the area, you see ocean view on the news, and while negative things have happened here, they are happening everywhere. We had a business in Virginia Beach that was robbed twice and broken into twice, but we never had tv cameras and the news there making a big deal out of it. I live in east ocean view and have no plans to move.the market is slow and there are many good buys out there, but if you are afraid of Norfolk, go down the street to Chicks Beach there are many nice homes in there for sale, plus the taxes are lower. I think living on or near the water is always desirable.
Web Reference:  http://www.alicesheldon.com
Nancy Hendri…, Agent, Fredericksburg, VA
Sun Oct 28, 2007
Smitty,
We will be retiree neighbors. I told Brian my husband that we will have sand in our toes and the sound of the ocean when we open the rear door to our retirement house. We all want to retire with relaxation and things we enjoy like the ocean. I think your correct in the Virginia Beach location due to the revitalization in the area. It used to be a scary location for many years to bring your family. Now you feel a since of prosperity and commitment to family entertainment. I look forward to being a beach buddy with you. Take care.
Web Reference:  http://www.callnancyh.com
J Paul Picco…, , Virginia Beach, VA
Sat Oct 27, 2007
East Beach is like many other revitalizing areas in Hampton Roads (South Norfolk in Chesapeake, Parkview in Portsmouth, e.g.). It is not a quick change, but the parent cities have pumped a lot of money into these areas and no one sitting on the council wants to wind up with egg on their face for making a bad investment. You can't compare this month to last month when an area is going through such a drastic transformation like these areas are. This will be a slow change as the city and, most importantly the neighbors, start taking back the streets. If you want to gauge how well the turn around is going, check out a civic league meeting. Are they well attended and well organized? Do the leaders seem well informed and they need to have a passion for their area. If they appear defeated, the area may be in trouble. I've held open houses in both Parkview and South Norfolk and can attest to what happens when the neighborhood starts to get fed up with the crime and disrespectful neighbors. It makes you proud to say the least. Early adopters usually win out here. But its more than just moving into a neighborhood and waiting for the police and the government to help. You become a part of the community and you need to help take it back.

Didn't the city council JUST approve the live camera feeds for OV, anyway?
Smitty, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Sat Oct 27, 2007
Thanks Tony. As I mentioned, we have family in the area so we visit a few times per year and have recently experienced what you describe - more 'for Sale' signs. I almost get the impression that those that were among the initial 'believers' have given up on the dream as they still hear the gun shots 3 blocks away. Such a shame to see that happen. You mention other places we may consider - anything near the water that is reasonable and safe? We've looked in Portsmouth - another revitalization project at Parkview, and in Norfolk at older areas - Colonial Place / Larchmont. We would love access to the ocean or the bay, but can only afford 'x' amount - thoughts?