Home Buying in Lakewood>Question Details

m_nichols_we, Home Buyer in Morrison, CO

In the inspection process, we tested for asbestos in the ceiling which came back as 4. Do most people leave it alone or have it abated?

Asked by m_nichols_we, Morrison, CO Mon Jan 21, 2013

Very discouraged about the 1970 homes, or earlier in Lakewood. Settling problems, high radon, and asbestos. Is this typical of all of Lakewood? Does anyone have asbestos abated and is it safe to live in afterwards?

Most people will get this problem mitigated, but of course there is a cost that goes along with it. High Radon levels are normal in Lakewood, but I would recommend getting it mitigated because it can be very harmful to your families health. Do you need a reference to inspect these items for you?
This is an old post but I wanted to add that as long as Asbestos (and lead) are left alone and better yet encapsulated in paint or another material, you are safe. It is when you want to remodel when the issue is paramount. When these get airborne is when they are harmful to us. Follow the EPA guidelines and your home will be as safe as any other.
Web Reference: http://levelhi.com
It is up to you, there is asbestos in most homes older than 1970. Asbestos is not a problem unless it is disturbed.
With regard to asbestos, you might start with the EPA website referenced below. It provides insight about the health issues involved and how to deal with asbestos.

I agree with Sean about settling and radon issues. General wisdom of the day tells us that houses will do most of their settling within the first 10 years after construction. A change in the environment can change that (drought, floods, change in drainage, etc), so if you are concerned about settling you should consult with an engineer. Radon is generally on a case-by-case basis: one house could have minimal radon, while the house next door could have a very high radon level.

Good luck with your home purchase!
First off, the homes are 40+ years old, so I wouldn't be getting too upset about settling. Radon can be found most anywhere, so don't get too worried about that. As for asbestos, my best suggestion would be for you to contact a professional to find out more about the environmental issues you may face with asbestos in the home. Try the county or city you're in first, they'll have someone on staff who can either give you advice or can direct you to a professional who can.

We are Realtors, not Environmental Health Professionals, so any advice that you receive here would most likely not be based upon schooling pertaining to asbestos but mainly based on what past clients have done.

I wish you the best of luck with this house, and know that yes, while I'm sure asbestos is bad for you, (it's been proven) it also was used for years in construction, so I'm sure there are ways to abate the hazards.