In senior communities, does a senior need to live there or can a senior own it and have someone rent it who is not a senior

Asked by Lisa Fabianowicz, San Diego, CA Sun Nov 4, 2012

This question was asked from this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Nov 4, 2012
Thanks to John Arendsen for a detailed and informative answer. TU to you, John.

Lisa, you should keep in mind that the point of senior communities is to provide a place for qualifying seniors to live – not a place for them to invest and rent to those who are not qualifying seniors.
1 vote
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Nov 4, 2012
This home is a pre HUD, built before June 15, 1976. If you are thinking about securing a loan for the purchase you will find that most lenders will not lend on a PRE HUD home. Additionally, you should be aware that many if not most Pre HUD homes were built with lots of caustic and carcinogenic chemicals i.e. formaldahyde and asbestos.

As far as renting or in this case sub letting, it is usually prohibitted in rent/lease park/communitities unlell stipulated otherwise. The first thing you need to do before you put any money down on this home is speak witth the park manager/owner. You will have to fill out an application and be qualified and accepted before you can take possession ot the home. At this time you will receive a copy of the park/communtiy rules and regulations as is required by the Housing and Community Development Department )HCF+D).

Be sure to have it thoroughly inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any home inspector as there are several nuances with MHs that you don't have in a conventional site-built home and most home inspectors not familiar with these nuances will not even know what to look for.

Make sure the inspector crawls under the home and thoroughly inspects each and every pier and pad assembly for rust, deterioration and decomposition if steel and for decompsition if concrete as homes that close to the ocean can be severely impacted by salt.

They should also make sure the home is level by checking all the doors and windows to make sure that they are not swinging or sticking and that all the strike plates on the doors are properly aligned and the doors close soundly.

The inspector should also inspect the steel mainframe for rust and decomposition as well. I can't tell you how many mainframes we've had to repair that were suffering and in some cases even failing from rust and deterioration related issues.

Be sure and have the inspector check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier under the floor. If there are openings in this membrane it could allow the insulation under the floor to become compromised and even fall on the ground.

Openings in the vapor barrier are also a great place for rodents and cats to habitate and reproduce. We've eradicated countless critters from these cavities over the years and it's not a very pleasant experience.

Finally and very importantly make sure the home has a state Housing and Coummunity Development Department (HCD) certified earthquake resistant bracing system (ERBS) as this area is classified as a Zone 4 earthquake area.

We are a California licensed and experienced manufacured home and general contractor and manufactured home dealer, developer and real estate brokerage with decades of experience in the MH industry.

We don't cover that area but we would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have about purchasing a MH at no charge as long as we can do it on this forum. Or you can email us at

Please feel free to log onto any of our very user friendly websites:
1 vote
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Right back atcha John. I hate to see follks get stung by RE professionals and MH dealers who's only concern is earning that commission. I've actually lost many deals over the years by telling folks exactly what they're getting themselves into.

I've even had park owners/managers, RE brokers and MH dealers threaten to sue me for all kinds of things and I've always told them to bring it on and prove me wrong. Having been an expert witness, Industry Expert for the California State Contractors License Board, a MH consultant and troubleshooter at large I say bring it on.
0 votes
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Nov 4, 2012
Sometimes a person under 55 can live there, but a senior must live there too. Contact the property manager and ask what the rules are.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more