In Williams twp. is it mandatory to have a heat source in a room for it to be consider a bedroom and be include in the square footage of the home?

Asked by Wendi, Schnecksville, PA Wed Feb 20, 2013

Answers

3
Heather Mori…, Agent, Allentown, PA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Hello Wendi yes the Gen. building code does say that in order to consider a room a bedroom it should have a closet electric and heat source and it should also I believe at minimum 9 x 9 or larger - I can tell you from a mortgage appraisers point of view in order for a buyer to get a mortgage these are the same basic requirements and from the buyer's point of view and additional requirement would be that a bedroom is not a walk-through to a bathroom as well.
Richard Cowe…, Agent, Easton, PA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
The uniform construction code which most of the townships adopted requires heat and that it not be a walk thru room.Howeever if you we're buying a three bedroom home and one of the bedrooms doesn't quality it becomes a two bedroom.The hard part is too get a appraisal that meets your sale price..
, ,
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Hello Wendi,

I don't know about local ordinances but I have seen FHA appraisers insist that a heat source be provided prior to closing the loan and I believe the same is true for conventional loans.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
VOTED BEST IN BUCKS 2010 & 2012
NMLS ID 143960