ayelenegusie, Home Buyer in Bowie, MD

In Laurel MD, Zip code 20707, the home are staying on the market for very long time. any reason? where is the best place to live in Laurel, 2007?

Asked by ayelenegusie, Bowie, MD Thu Mar 29, 2012

Answers

7
Theresa Sheaffer’s answer
To address your question about "the best place to live in 20707" only you can answer that question because everyone's priorities and opinions are different. An amazing tool that I have found to help buyers chose the best area for them is the FREE website http://www.picketreport.com. All the info is in map form so you can see exactly where things are.
There are four categories for you to research: Lifestyle (demographics), Schools, Neighborhood (options for choosing what's important to you, i.e. shopping, transportation, hospitals, parks, daycare, fitness, etc.) and Crime (gives you all the reports for the last two weeks or so.)
BTW, I have absolutely no affiliation with the website, I just find it's a great tool for buyers.
If you have any other questions in your home search, feel free to contact me. I know every nook and crannie of Laurel. =)
-T
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 30, 2012
This site has some great tools or indicators to help decide the best place to live in laurel
Hello:
I did some research into that zip code, looking specifically at single family homes as I'm not certain as to what type of property you are seeking. However what I found is that there were 15 homes in the last 6 months that had DOMM longer than 100. They were in concentrated developments:
1. Fairlawn
2. McCahill Estates
3. Rollandwood
4. Talbott Estates

Of the 15 7 were Short Sales and 2 were foreclosures. So the other contributing factor is traditional sales. Homeowners who have no financial distress, have really cared for their homes through the years and often the homes have great upgrades. I find that these sellers as well will hold out for a particular price on their homes, as long as it makes sense in the market and will appraise for the value. Many times this comes with several drops in price.

Non Distressed Homes- Avg Sold Price 270,861 with 165 DOMM
Distressed Homes- Avg Sold Price 194,425 with 160 DOMM

Do you have a particular community of interest. Single family or townhome. Price point. Bedrooms and Bathrooms. School District? These are normal driving factors for purchasers. I would be happy to assist you in your home search. Let me know how.
Price and location dictate most of the time on the market in my opinion. Laurel is a great place to live! There's something for everyone. There's old historic Laurel with wonderful older homes full of character. There are newer sections like Russet where contemporary design is great for today's lifestyle. There's Maryland City full of great older ranchers and ramblers just waiting for some TLC. There are rural feeling areas and there are great condos and townhouses. My first meeting with you would be to determine just what you want and need and then we'd find you the home of your dreams! Call me on cell anytime at 301-996-2924 for a buyer questionnaire and we can begin the exciting process of finding your home!!

Chuck Bailey
Long and Foster Real Estate, Inc.
301-996-2924cell
The average days on market for Feb 2012 for 20707 was 121 days. For all of PG county it was 103 days. So, it isn't that far off. The average sales price for 20707 was 187k and PG was 168k. So, perhaps the higher sales price leads to a higher days on market.

Without knowing your price range and requirements it is hard to say what the best places are to buy. Feel free to contact me if I can help you further.
You have good questions. Homes stay on the market based on several factors: if they are short sales under contract waiting for approval to close as an example. Size, price, and more play a part in a home's days on market. To answer, the best place to buy, what is your goal? Is it a short term purchase? Long term? Single Home? Condo? Townhouse? Please feel free to contact me directly and I can better answer the questions once I have some of the specifics mentioned. Either way, now is a great time to buy!!! Our market is super strong with many many buyers, and some amazing home choices. I hope this helps.
Ariana Loucas, RE/MAX Advantage
301 728-1418
If they are staying on the market for a long time two of the main reasons for this are that the homes are short sales or that the homes are priced to high or both.