Im receiving Worker's Compensation for an injury I had in my job 6 years ago. I'll be having cervical surgery

Asked by Carmen, San Diego, CA Mon Feb 2, 2009

and will not be able to go back to work, if I'm even ever allowed to do so, for at least a year. Can my WC be considered when I apply for a mortgage loan? We will be paying the same we do for rent right now, so we don't see the point of giving away money when we can actually own. Thank you

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mark Leach, Home Buyer, Pine Bluff, AR
Tue Jan 20, 2015
I, too, am sorry to hear that you were so severally injured. It all depends on the lender. For the most part, income is income and for you, WC is your income currently. I think that it is a dependable source as well. You will want to ask lenders.
Mark Leach |
0 votes
cathysmith135, Home Buyer, Wilmington, DE
Thu Dec 18, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that you had a accident on your job six years ago. I'm glad that your employer was willing to support you with workers compensation. I've heard that some lawyers refuse to pay those fees. If that was the case, I would encourage you to hire a workers compensation lawyer.
0 votes
John Connor, Home Buyer, Kansas City, MO
Tue Dec 16, 2014
I would get a lawyer who knows his stuff. They will be able to answer your question a lot better that this site. I would say that it would be the right idea but again I wouldn't know.
0 votes
Zeda Jackson, Home Buyer, Fullerton, CA
Fri Oct 24, 2014
This is a good question. It is important to hire a lawyer to help guide you through this process. They will be able to help you know what you can and can't do. Thanks for sharing!
0 votes
davis-partri…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Tue Aug 26, 2014
I used to think I had a pretty solid grasp on workers compensation, but the older I get the more I realize I don't yet know. My co-worker was injured on the job and a claim was filed. She was able to get some compensation for awhile, but the complexities of the program are pretty interesting. I'm not sure how it will affect your loan.
0 votes
Carolyn Crane, , Coronado, CA
Fri Sep 17, 2010
Hi Carmen,

I would suggest that you speak to a bank or even two. With all of the changes in the banking industry their requirements differ from one bank to another. They should be able to help you in making this decision.
Take care and good luck.
0 votes
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Feb 4, 2009
Hello Carmen,

You need to talk to a lender to get the answer to your question.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more