Im a coowner of house with my sister and brother in law, I dont pay morgage and dont leave there, I rent.

Asked by bb, Walnut Creek, CA Tue Oct 2, 2012

can I buy house on my own with small down payment?

Answers

3
James Tan, Agent, elk grove, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
What is important is are you on the note (loan) ? Cause this will affect your borrowing capacity.
Since you are not paying any mortgage,I am guessing that you are not.
You should speak with a mortgage consultant or your friendly bank loan officer.
If you are a passive owner (minority shareholder as tenants in common) with your sister/brother in law, you might be able to qualify as a first time buyer.
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
When you say you are co-owner, that suggests that you have a certain percentage ownership interest, so if the home was worth $500K and you had a 50% interest, you would have $250K equity in the home.

If that is the case, then providing that you can qualify for a loan to cover the other 50%, then it shouldn't be a problem. That is provided your sister and brother-in-law are agreeable, of course.

You should talk to a good local mortgage specialist to check out your likelihood of qualification.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
You RENT it, but you don't LIVE there.
And you are a C0-Owner., but you don't pay the Mortgage.
And you want to buy your own house?

This is silly:

Have you considered talking to your Sister and Brother-in-Law?